DOTA 2

WhenKittensATK

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna start this up again. Focusing on playing Lich since I heard he was the easiest champion to learn. He's like LoL's Janna and Ryze fused together haha (still a support though). He's got a slow/damage, armor buff, eat a friendly minion (Gangplank), and Brand's bouncy ultimate.

Still getting used to last hitting in this game. Love the courier system.

Went 11-2-0 on my second bot game, don't even want to talk about the previous ones haha. That second game is on par to LoL, those other games are just horrible.

DOTA 2 still needs to catch up with how organized LoL strategy sites are. There are a crap load of guides, but mostly forum posts and super old DOTA guides. None of them or as organized and presentable for processing like mobafire, solomid, and lolpro. Dotafire is meh in terms of guides posted and their ratings aren't that great and they lack the detail of the guides posted for LoL thus far.

Edited by AZNguyen

Gonna start this up again. Focusing on playing Lich since I heard he was the easiest champion to learn. He's like LoL's Janna and Ryze fused together haha (still a support though). He's got a slow/damage, armor buff, eat a friendly minion (Gangplank), and Brand's bouncy ultimate.

Still getting used to last hitting in this game. Love the courier system.

Went 11-2-0 on my second bot game, don't even want to talk about the previous ones haha. That second game is on par to LoL, those other games are just horrible.

DOTA 2 still needs to catch up with how organized LoL strategy sites are. There are a crap load of guides, but mostly forum posts and super old DOTA guides. None of them or as organized and presentable for processing like mobafire, solomid, and lolpro. Dotafire is meh in terms of guides posted and their ratings aren't that great and they lack the detail of the guides posted for LoL thus far.

playdota.com is mostly DotA guides, but they still apply to DOTA 2, especially the more recent ones. The item organization on playdota is the best of any site, but unfortunately the icons are DotA images and not DOTA 2 images, making it more frustrating than it should be.

dotafire.com has a good interface. Some of the guides are quite good, but not all the heroes have such in depth guides. Keep in mind that there are millions of people playing LoL, while DOTA 2 is still in beta testing, so of course guides, ratings and comments aren't going to be as good, but it'll get better over time.

http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Dota_2_Wiki is good for quick information on heroes, skills, and items, organized as you'd find it in DOTA 2, which is nice. As it's just the wiki, it's not a source for guides.

As for Lich, I haven't tried him. His ult is pretty good for some CC, along with his Q-spell. I've never heard anyone say he's the easiest champion to learn though. shrug. He has four active skills, so to me, that doesn't make him noob-friendly. Usually a hero with 1-2 passives are easier because they require less skill micro-managing. My first hero was Sniper, which has two passives (and thus only two actives). I thought he was easy to pick up, though as a carry, he's very reliant on items, which isn't as easy to get a handle of for newbies, so maybe that's why he wouldn't be recommended as a starter hero.

Lately, I play Zeus when we need a ganker, and Anti-Mage or Ursa for carry.

As for Lich, I haven't tried him. His ult is pretty good for some CC, along with his Q-spell. I've never heard anyone say he's the easiest champion to learn though. shrug. He has four active skills, so to me, that doesn't make him noob-friendly. Usually a hero with 1-2 passives are easier because they require less skill micro-managing.

What I think makes Lich easy to learn/play:

1. All spells are "Click on Target" (hard to miss)
  2. His Q spell does damage + slow (great for chasers/fleers)
  3. His W spell is works great against speedy melee champions (slows down their movement and attack speed)
  4. His E denies creeps and gives him mana (Great for denying and mana recovery)
  5. His R really punishes groups who stay together tightly (bounces 7-8 times dealing quite a bit of damage)

Granted I'm also coming from 200 hrs in LoL, so using the spells and combing aren't all that different. However, DOTA feels and plays very different from LoL in every other aspect haha. That's the hump I'm trying to get over.

Edited by AZNguyen

The only character I can even do decently with is Lifestealer. :lol:

I've been meaning to try Lifestealer because he seems very similar to Ursa, but with generally more health (str primary) and built-in lifesteal (whereas I have to get Vlads with Ursa). The only thing that confuses me is his ultimate and nobody seems able to explain it to me very well. I'll probably test him out in a bot game eventually, but bot games bore me. lol

Granted I'm also coming from 200 hrs in LoL, so using the spells and combing aren't all that different. However, DOTA feels and plays very different from LoL in every other aspect haha. That's the hump I'm trying to get over.

I haven't played LoL, but based on my discussions with friends, my take is that the main difference (or at least the one that affects one's ability to succeed in DOTA2 coming from LoL the most) is that hero deaths are a lot more significant in DOTA 2 than LoL. Not only do you reward the opposing hero (or team) gold, but you lose gold yourself. As such, LoL players may take too many chances early on and really put their team in a rut. In addition, you have to know when to spend or save your money, understanding how the gold-loss works (unreliable gold vs. reliable gold). If you're saving up for a high-cost item, but have only been killing creep (unreliable gold), getting ganked is going to really hurt you.