WhenKittensATK

DOTA 2

I played a match, and the people were pretty rude, saying "you shouldn't take up a beta key" "Why did you sign up if you suck so bad..."

I am not a big Dota guy, how am I supposed to learn the game if I can't play lol... The nerves of people on the internet...

I played a match, and the people were pretty rude, saying "you shouldn't take up a beta key" "Why did you sign up if you suck so bad..."

I am not a big Dota guy, how am I supposed to learn the game if I can't play lol... The nerves of people on the internet...

Everyone who plays DOTA is a big see you next tuesday.

That's why I play LoL. The basic ELO setup that they use keeps new users away from seasoned veterans so nobody bashes on noobs. Everyone is a noob at some point. ;)

Oh man, yeah some people can be really rude if you aren't very good. Do they have bot matches on DOTA 2 cause that's the best place to start cause most people who play bots aren't that great :P

Oh man, yeah some people can be really rude if you aren't very good. Do they have bot matches on DOTA 2 cause that's the best place to start cause most people who play bots aren't that great :P

It seemed like you can play "offline" with AI bots, but I didn't try it.

My impressions thus far:

Menus - looks like Valve borrowed some cues from Blizzard - the menus are much more in line with SC2 than any previous Valve Source game, though still with Source's typical gun metal gray color. Personally, I like the way it's currently laid out, so props to that. Here's a screenshot of the "Today" tab (essentially a home screen): http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596960836482474260/A2071C12C3497F2C22A028750C489F1537F2A4DB/

Heroes - Currently there are over 60 heroes: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596960836482478969/73F8ED231A84B0D141D3F06C3F8CC6E7DEFBA629/ EEK! Normally in an RPG or MMO, I'd do a little research on each character before choosing one, but with 60+ heroes, that would have taken too long - I just wanted to play! So for my first two matches, I chose Sniper, since I typically like long distance combat.

My first match - Getting a handle of the overall gameplay was fairly intuitive, but I came to realize that learning and understanding every hero is going to be useful in the longrun even if one plans on focusing on just one or two heroes, because it helps to understand what your opponent's skills are. For example, one of my opponents was Pudge, who has this grappling hook move that pulls a target to him. As a Sniper, it's all about keeping my distance, so getting caught in that hook usually caused death (at least if he had other teammates nearby). One of my teammates disconnected fairly early in the game, most likely a rage quit. He complained that people didn't know how to play because he was having to fight, when he picked a healer hero. Meanwhile, at one point I went with him, and instead of healing me when I got knocked down to half health, he charges forward to engage in melee combat. I started to realize that maybe his complaining was a mere cover for his lack of skill. After about 39 minutes, the match ended in a loss. I finished with a KDA (kills:deaths:assists) of 2:13:2. Pretty bad, though my whole team got dominated, so not a good benchmark: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596960836482478025/2014BB82297800539F4D8E72841E6D224313032C/

My second match - I chose Sniper again, now that I understood him better. This match lasted about 49 minutes, but still resulted in a loss. However, I played much better, sporting a KDA of 13:9:11, including a string of kills that saw Quake-like notifications of "dominating", "mega kill", "unstoppable", and "wicked sick." Sadly, they were just text and not Quake sounds to go along with them :lol:. Anywho, in that game, once again there was someone who quit on my team, just 14 mins into the battle. AI does take over, for those wondering, and from what I read, if the disconnect is accidental (eg. bad connection), you're able to rejoin games you've left that are still in progress. Anywho, as I said, I was doing fairly well, yet one of my teammates kept accusing me of kill stealing :sigh:. He was a Broodmother (melee hero) and again, I was the Sniper, thus a long distance hero. So sorry if I can shoot heroes from a distance while you attempt to run after them. People are stupid. Results: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596960836482477213/D68B876BAC560519DD5C8B161EC358296EC7FB54/

Sniper - Sniper is a cool hero if you like fighting from a distance, though obviously if an opponent gets you into melee range, it could spell doom rather quickly. As such, one of the most important items to buy is something that increases movement speed, so you can (try to) run away if you get caught in a melee battle. The Sniper's Assassinate skill is the key to racking up hero kills. It leaves you very vulnerable for a couple of seconds, but the benefit, aside from the high damage output, is that once you mark your target, you will hit him/her even if he/she runs out of range (assuming you survive for the shot to go off). Sadly, you can't put a point in Assassinate until level 6, so getting hero kills in the early game is a lot tougher than in the mid to late game.

Overall - I had fun, even with some of the pricks i encountered. As with Battle.Net in SC2, you have access to your friends list right on the Today tab (no need to SHIFT-TAB to bring up the Steam Overlay), so I assume when you have friends with the game, it'll be very easy to play with them. Until I play some more matches, I cannot really comment on how well the matchmaking system works. So far it seems good, as I don't think I was any worse or better than others in my matches, though the first game seemed to indicate that the opposing team was stacked, comparatively, so we'll see. There seems to be just one map right now, so hopefully they add some variety down the road. That being said, due to the nature of the game, I can see where it would still be enjoyable over time even with playing the same map largely because you have ten players (5v5) choosing between 60+ heroes (and counting, since it seems they're constantly adding new ones).

Anyone else get in yet?

Just played a match with Troy. It was fun, even though I was on a team full of helpless noobs :lol:

Anyone else get in yet?

Just played a match with Troy. It was fun, even though I was on a team full of helpless noobs :lol:

Well at least I was helping more than that one guy on our team asking if he can change hero midgame. :lol:

Well at least I was helping more than that one guy on our team asking if he can change hero midgame. :lol:

lol, yeah, for sure...the same person that never bought a single item :rolleyes:

The Sniper on the opposing team was clearly a noob too....he fed me quite a few times :evilgrin:

I got invited yesterday. Played some games today. It's basically Dota with some more grafix and a better interface. Gameplay is practically the same as in the original except that I think it's a little bit more responsive. I like the main menu features like being able to download replays and watch live matches. Also has detailed profile information and other neat stuff, but in the end it's just bells and whistles and I hope that valve don't price the game as full retail.. or even half retail. Maybe 10-15$ will be good, but any more than that and the price becomes unjustifiable considering that every other person and their dog owns a copy of Warcraft 3 and can play the original dota for free.

I got two Dota 2 passes if anyone wants one :)

hey can you give one to my friend? At the moment we're sharing my account but it'd be awesome if we could actually play together.