tink_tonk

PSU problem perhaps?

hi all, Im newbie here so forgive me if im posting at wrong section.

I just bought s new set of desktop and I assembled it by myself. This is the specs;

amd phenom x4 955 be

mobo asus m4a88t-v evo

kingston dual channel high performance ram 4gb

sapphire hd5670 1gb

psu vantec 520w

after i finish assembled the pc wont start. i have replug the 8 and 20 pin but still wont come alive. then i changed the psu from my old pc (forget what brand) with 450w my pc just alive for a split second i.e. the cpu fan spin for second than drop dead. i try using the vantec 520w at my old it wont start at all! when i reconnect back my old psu to my old pc it start just fine without any problem. is it the problem with my psu or mobo? when i inspect the 20 pin of vantec 520w i notice there are missing pin (white coloured cable). very appreciate if any help from any gurus here. tq.. :thx:

If your power supply as a 20 pin and not 24 pin connector you'll need to replace it. The extra four pins on the motherboard connector were introduced, amongst other things, to cater for the extra power requirements of the graphics card which you have installed.

Have you tried a CMOS reset?

Pull the PCI-E graphics card and enable the onboard graphics and see if it fires up?

Build the PC out of the case to rule out hardware>case shorts?

oh, sorry. It is 24 pins (forgot about those 4 extra pins). and im using casing cm elite 430.

I have pull out the graphic card but the my pc still wont fire up.

how to reset the cmos?

It's not booting up at all? No HDD activity? Completely dead when you press the ON switch?

I can't find a decent picture to show it at the moment but you should have a link on the motherboard, probably near to the coin cell, that says CMOS CLEAR or something similar. Make sure the PC is off and move the link over to the clear position for a few seconds then put it back to its original position.

...and by the way your power supply isn't the best! ;)

after trying with another psu and resetting the cmos, still my pc wont fire up. i guess might be got issues with motherboard. huhu..

yeah you right. vantec psu wasnt the best. I've changed to the new one and still easily broken.. now im regret chossing those model.. huhuu..

ATX 24pin is indeed missing one pin, the white cable is for -5V and it is considered obsolete. So that's not a problem.

Things to try: reseat memory, reseat CPU, reinsert the videocard, take the mobo out and put it back in and see that you don't overdo it with the screws... please check that you have the correct 8pin plugged into the motherboard, some people managed to plug a PCIe 8pin in there. It sounds like the PSU is triggering one of it's protections.

Other strange things less experienced people have done is to use mobo-case standoffs in the incorrect position, causing things to short out. Also some CPU coolers backplanes can do that too.

on some power supplies there is a 4 pin connector that goes to the motherboard and their is another one that is only for the video card this was my problem.

Do you have two 8 pin connectors and you are using the wrong one or is the one you are using for the video cards only if that is the case you should have a 4 pin for the motherboard that with work in the 8 pin just not as well as if you had the correct 8 pin connector