buying a new camera.... need advice bad

Crawlerz246

I have an oldie-but-goldie Fuji S2000 from like 6-7 years ago (made in Japan says it all) that performs pretty well BUT by today's standards 3MP is a bit of a laughable pic quality (especially when enlarging)... the zoom's pretty good at 6x (not spectacular ofc). I know it is far from an actual SLR but I really cannot spend up to 1000$ on a camera. maybe 200$, 250 if I push the big red button. I love making photos but I'm an amature at best. my grandfather gave a paper comercial with the Fuji S1800 I looked it up online and liked the features. 12MP, 18x zoom, AA batteries, optical viewfinder. (I've discovered that it makes a truckload of noise while in video mode but I'm really not buying it for video, that's for my mother and her stupid Lumix point-and-shoot, hate those things). now one thing that really concerns me (and otherwise I'd've pressed BUY already) is that these things tend to produce noise (and plenty of it) in lowlight conditions. now my grandfather has a nikon if I'm not mistaken (very similar to this) and indoors the noise in the pics is just unbearable. I realize my old Fuji produces a LOT less noise mainly because there arent as many photosensitives on about the same area element in the camera... but 3MP is a bit discouraging...

- so I need input as you can see...

kudos, community.

Idk what advice I can give ya, I really like my Lumix P&S's. I just bought a Lumiz ZS5 (12MP, 12x optical, 2.7" screen, 720p video). Used to have a Lumiz TZ5 and loved it but my friend lost it recently, it's beat to hell but still worked great. If you can learn to have a steady arm (moreso for lowlight, no flash indoor pics) , the Lumix's can provide some great shots.

I'm not up on SLR's since I always want my camera with me in my pocket but I did see a pretty sweet deal on a Samsung SLR the other day (deal's probably over though) for $250. Keep your eyes peeled and I'm sure you can land a decent one for $400 or less.

I spent $214 for my new Lumix

you miight be right there - as looking across alternatives to the Fuji I came across the Lumix FX40 - at twice the price it better damn well be good. but seems like it is, the optical zoom, image stabilization and viewfinder and all that jazz is still there but it seems to do a better job at pic quality (showing significant noise at ISO 1600 which might not even be needed... and seems to have an ISO "lock" which might come in very handy). also as it comes with video capabilities (and two mics vs one in the Fuji) the sound's a lot better and NO BUZZING DURING MOVIE MODE.

now I've also looked at th FZ50, but (although freakin sweet) it seems to be a bit too much for a cripple like me (something a bit smaller aka the FZ40 is just up my alley) and way too expensive for the job I want to fullfill.

if you have suggestions to steer me towards something better or say "you dont need THIS function, go with the other camera", you are welcome to put in your $0.02.

I bought a new camera about 6 months ago.

After a lot of research I ended up buying it from Sams Club. I know what you're thinking and I was the same way but this thing has turned out to be awesome!

I wanted something that took @ least 10 MP and HD video. The Sony DSC-H20 is the one. :biggrin: I compared it's features to many cameras and although I was set on a SLR my wife gave my amateur inner photographer a reality check and we bought this. It has a rechargeable battery that lasts muchtime, uses Sony memory stick pro duo (we have a 2GB card), and was $210! Yeah, just over $200. I was going to spend like $650 on a Canon Rebel T1i like a friend has...I would have been mad. He is jealous. Price/performance, you can't beat it!

Good luck

This link @ Newegg has some great reviews that actually verbalize my feelings better than I can ;)

Edited by ivangela

Canon makes some real nice p&s cameras.

The wife and I bought the Power Shot SX110 IS. 9 mega pixels with 10X optical zoom.

It was an older model when we got it.

And this thing is just awesome.

I've used it with my 12" Dobsonian scope with great results.

Just whatever camera you choose. Try to practice at times without auto selected.

Try to get a high optical zoom.(almost no noise produced) Try to avoid high digital zoom.(sometimes makes to much noise. can loose some fine detail)

Canon makes some real nice p&s cameras.

The wife and I bought the Power Shot SX110 IS. 9 mega pixels with 10X optical zoom.

It was an older model when we got it.

And this thing is just awesome.

I've used it with my 12" Dobsonian scope with great results.

Just whatever camera you choose. Try to practice at times without auto selected.

Try to get a high optical zoom.(almost no noise produced) Try to avoid high digital zoom.(sometimes makes to much noise. can loose some fine detail)

Ya that's one thing that REALLY does tick me off about my camera, I wish there was a way like some of my old cameras, to disable digital zoom. It's a horrible feature

Ya that's one thing that REALLY does tick me off about my camera, I wish there was a way like some of my old cameras, to disable digital zoom. It's a horrible feature

very true. I try to not use digital zoom at all. my granfather has a newer camera and supposedly turned the digital zoom off but for some reason having noise problems bad. indoor pics look....for a lack of a better word.... BAD.

right now after reading nonstop for a few days, I'm leaning heavily to the Lumix DMC FZ45

a big part of my photography (if you can call it that) is indoors with friends/family (lets not kid ourselves, I don't have friends). so noise is a big part of it. still it seems ALL ultra-zooms suffer from noise because the technology is the same on all.

I've also considered the canon sx30 is, but it is way overbudget and seems to be quite similar to the Lumix in image quality (maybe having a slight edge, but nothing that justifies the $400 price tag.)

If i was after a p&s that is probably the one i would go for, but i cant really help in any-other way because i am set on saving for a NIKON DSLR i do a lot of low light photography so i need the extra sensor space.

If i was after a p&s that is probably the one i would go for, but i cant really help in any-other way because i am set on saving for a NIKON DSLR i do a lot of low light photography so i need the extra sensor space.

I dont think I can save enough (or fast enough) for a SLR. what would that be? $1200? not for my needs. I cant justify that.

very true. I try to not use digital zoom at all. my granfather has a newer camera and supposedly turned the digital zoom off but for some reason having noise problems bad. indoor pics look....for a lack of a better word.... BAD.

right now after reading nonstop for a few days, I'm leaning heavily to the Lumix DMC FZ45

a big part of my photography (if you can call it that) is indoors with friends/family (lets not kid ourselves, I don't have friends). so noise is a big part of it. still it seems ALL ultra-zooms suffer from noise because the technology is the same on all.

I've also considered the canon sx30 is, but it is way overbudget and seems to be quite similar to the Lumix in image quality (maybe having a slight edge, but nothing that justifies the $400 price tag.)

That Lumix looks cool, what's the cheapest you've found it?