Sign in to follow this  
MINDSCI

How to install Programs on Non-OS Drive?

Hi,

I have been keeping all my Data on seperate drives or partitions for a long time...

I have read in Maximum PC that you can & should do this with your Programs too, so that when you have to do a clean install you won't have to re-do al your EXE's too.

I was wondering how this was done, and more specifically, if it is done; when you do do a Clean Install "How Will The New OS Know Where The Programs Are?"

Thanks!

I don't fully understand that? When you install a program, not all but the vast majority, it installs files into the windows directory that are needed in order for it to run. If you do a clean install of windows then I'll guarantee most of them won't work and will require reinstallation.

Unfortunately, you will have to reinstall all your apps. When you wipe your OS drive, you wipe all the supporting files and registry references needed by the installed programs, rendering them useless.

This is one thing I like about Macs better. The programs are all self-contained and don't tie into the OS, so if you were to wipe OS X clean, the apps will still work without requiring a reinstall (there are a handful of apps that would require a reinstall). I would love if Windows would eventually evolve into something like this. It's my one pet peeve about having to do a fresh install of Windows, it's like a full day's worth of work to get things back to the way you like it.

Unfortunately, you will have to reinstall all your apps. When you wipe your OS drive, you wipe all the supporting files and registry references needed by the installed programs, rendering them useless.

This is one thing I like about Macs better. The programs are all self-contained and don't tie into the OS, so if you were to wipe OS X clean, the apps will still work without requiring a reinstall (there are a handful of apps that would require a reinstall). I would love if Windows would eventually evolve into something like this. It's my one pet peeve about having to do a fresh install of Windows, it's like a full day's worth of work to get things back to the way you like it.

Not entirely true. I've installed a great number of games over onto a secondary drive on my desktop and I've never come across an issue where the games would not run.

Not entirely true. I've installed a great number of games over onto a secondary drive on my desktop and I've never come across an issue where the games would not run.

Interesting. It must have been a while since I last tried this. I now install everything on my primary drive mainly because it's faster than installing on a secondary drive.

Well it's new to me?

For example a PC with a single 1TB HDD installed which is partitioned 10%/90%. Windows on the 10% and programs on 90%.

So what you're saying is if you have windows installed on the 10% partition and you install a game onto the secondary 90% a clean install of windows onto the 10% will still allow that game/program to work?

I've missed something here? (Games For Windows, MS Office, etc., will not work?)

Well it's new to me?

For example a PC with a single 1TB HDD installed which is partitioned 10%/90%. Windows on the 10% and programs on 90%.

So what you're saying is if you have windows installed on the 10% partition and you install a game onto the secondary 90% a clean install of windows onto the 10% will still allow that game/program to work?

I've missed something here? (Games For Windows, MS Office, etc., will not work?)

This is the same thing I've seen also, and I do this on a daily basis at work. If someone knows of something we're missing here I would love to hear it because every time I've ever done a fresh reload, no matter where apps or games are installed, they all need reloaded too.

Games seem to work, however, most programs do not. However, games will not show as "installed" when you do reload Windows. Autorun will want to reinstall, but if you close that and launch the game's shortcut, the game should start fine. Patching is another issue, as most of patches look in the registry for the install location and whether the game is installed or not.

...fresh install of Windows, it's like a full day's worth of work to get things back to the way you like it.

lol, for me it's like 2 weeks to a month if I sat down and did nothing but install and configure for 4-8 hours every day :lol:

what OS?

for windows 7 just move the Programfiles x64 and Programfiles to another drive and set the path inside 7 tot eh drive....everything will install to that location...

Nice feature of windows 7 is it will run almost ANY .exe even if it isnt installed on the OS side...

say you have an older hard drive with Windows XP installed and then decide to get a new drive and install Windows 7....to run anything you need navigate to the XP drive inside 7 and run the exe...away it goes...

I do this alot...

I install everything I want on a drive inside programfiles x86...then install a new drive and install win7 then i install Steam and then remap to the drive location I have separate...

Steam is the ONLY app I have found that actually needs installed or is gives errors but i am sure there is a work around and i just havent found it...

but this way I can reformat in about 20 minutes....

wipe and install....install steam...remap drive to Program files x86 and game away