GTX 450 VS GTX 460?

SpeedCrazy

This decision has only come up since EVGA has started this promotion.

Do i get a dirt cheap 450 or a relatively expensive 460?

How much difference in performance is there?

I do multimedia editing and creation along with the odd game and i hope to soon have 20 something in. 1920x1080 or hopefully higher resolution monitor along with my old 19in 1024x768. So from that standpoint which would be better?

Thanks guys. :cheers:

With only a little bit of gaming, I'd pick up a GTS450.

The video card doesn't help as much as processor / memory in multimedia editing, and for just watching multimedia, even a budget card will do.

With only a little bit of gaming, I'd pick up a GTS450.

The video card doesn't help as much as processor / memory in multimedia editing, and for just watching multimedia, even a budget card will do.

:withstupid:

Agreed

I hear the 450GTS is a pretty sweet folder too, I'm entering that promotion and hope I get picked that's a great deal on that card.

Still the GTX 460. The 450 is around the GTS 250 to 260, or 5750 to 5770. OC'd it keeps up with a 5770 in many cases but otherwise the GTX 460 which OCs like a beast and can hold its own with 5850s and GTX 470s (stock).

The GTX 260 actually has 20 more CUDA cores than the GTS 450, and unless you're playing DX11 games, get the 260.

Hell, it even works with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5's GPU accelerated rendering engine with a bit of tweaking of config files.

Edited by NearlyEpic

If i am thinking of the right card, doesnt the 260 draw more power and create more heat?

I am using photoshop soundbooth and at some point i hope to use after effects. I am also pottering around with 3d animation, student autodesk software.

Anyone know anything about power consumption and heat differences between the 450 and the 460?

Also after this promotion ends, is there anywhere i could buy a second card if i wanted to try crossfire? I was under the impression that the 450 was an OEM card?

Edited by SpeedCrazy