When to Start Overclocking

xfluux

Hey everyone,

I currently have an i7-930 CPU and Corsair H50 cooler on it. I want to overclock but unsure if i should due to the temperatures.

Right now, on a regular day--not too hot or too cold but sunny outside--I am running at about 51c CPU, 47c MB, and 54c NB. I am wondering if I would be able to overclock? and if so, do the temperatures go up a lot after OCing? about how many degrees?

This is my first time overclocking so any recommendations would be great.

please let me know! thanks in advance!

For one as5 isn't the gold standard any more and takes a bit of time to set up.

If you have the pump plugged into the motherboard you have to make sure to turn off motherboard controlled fan speed in the bios. That pump wont get enough power to work properly if you don't.

It should be called something like PMW Smart Fan Control or something along those lines. You will know it when you see it.

For one as5 isn't the gold standard any more and takes a bit of time to set up.

If you have the pump plugged into the motherboard you have to make sure to turn off motherboard controlled fan speed in the bios. That pump wont get enough power to work properly if you don't.

It should be called something like PMW Smart Fan Control or something along those lines. You will know it when you see it.

I would definitely try this suggestion first. :withstupid:

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. So, i attempted to turn on all the Chassis fans on Turbo through Q-Fan control in the bios--yet i see no difference. I'm not sure if this is cause i cannot control the chassis fans with 3 pins. The h50 connector is a 3 pin connectors which i connected to a 4 pin slot on the mobo. would this do anything? I'm still getting speeds of around 1k.

another thing i have a problem with is that i have 3 fans connected to the mobo excluding the CPU fan (1 connected to h50 (Cha1), 1 connected to the front fan (cha3) and one connected to antec spot cooler (cha2)). but yet, when i look into speedfan or my ASUS PC Probe, it only shows 2 (yet when i look, all the fans are running).

so with that, should i move the h50 connector to another slot? maybe a 3 pin instead of a 4?

in addition, so i actually overclocked to 3.8 Ghz :) right now im getting idle temps of CPU: 47c, MB: 45, and NB of 55c.

which isnt too bad seeing that before i had pretty high temps (maybe the intel cpu voltage control wasnt working to tune down the voltage when not in use).

the problem is, when i run intel burn test, my temps go up to 93c--which is way out of my range.

thanks for your help!

93c on what? At that temp, the CPU should be dead, though you might be mistaking it with the NB temps in which case 93c is okay.

I have seen my temps hit 100c before, Im not proud of this but I really wanted 4.2GHz stable but I had way too much heat. Keep in mind this is with a $30 air cooler. Nothing special. My temps rarely hit 70c when I am stress testing at 3.8GHz in a fairly warm room.

Your core temps should be way lower than they are. I would suggest an RMA and have them sed you a new one. Contact corsair, your temps are way too high.

Edited by gabrieltessin