Windows 7 install on SSD

Shurman292

Those advertised speeds are "up to XX MB/s", and you get close to reaching them in the ATTO benchmark for sequential read/writes. Dont put any stock in the Windows score either. Just answer this- do you not love the new speed?? :D

I absolutey love the new speed...now that I have seen the light, HDDs make me want to cry and they're everywhere! I just wanted to make sure my drive was optimized as much as it could be and that I am not missing out on anything.

Those advertised speeds are "up to XX MB/s", and you get close to reaching them in the ATTO benchmark for sequential read/writes. Dont put any stock in the Windows score either. Just answer this- do you not love the new speed?? :D

I absolutey love the new speed...now that I have seen the light, HDDs make me want to cry and they're everywhere! I just wanted to make sure my drive was optimized as much as it could be and that I am not missing out on anything.

--Edit-- Sorry for the double-post, my girlfriend's internet is screwed up and it froze on me.

Edited by Shurman292

Disabled superfetch, defragmentation, enabled write-caching, and disabled indexing among other tweaks that the OCZ forums said to perform.

Superfetch is good - turn it back on. :P No reason to disable it with an SSD.

It looks normal for that drive except for the 4k-64 read... yours is way low...

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ocz_vertex2_120gb/10.htm

Try updating some drivers and/or firmware maybe?

Alright so I realized that I am an idiot...I randomly went through the bios this morning and realized that there are two places where AHCI can be set: 1) for the Marvell raid controller and 2) for SATA drives in general...apparently I installed the new OS when only the Marvell raid controller was set to AHCI. So I turned the other setting to AHCI and voila! WEI went up from 7.3 to 7.7 on the drive. Also, ATTO benchmark returned initially expected results. So this got me wondering, should I reinstall the OS to make sure everything is aligned properly or will this not matter/hurt my drive since it gives a normal WEI and ATTO benchmark numbers?

Thanks everyone!

--Edit-- OCZ responded to my inquiry and I decided to add their response to this post for completeness: "You do not need to reinstall or realign the drive. Windows 7 will automatically align the drive properly. Alignment is only an issue if you are using an old operating system like Windows XP." I guess I'll just relax and be happy now haha

Edited by Shurman292