Shurman292

Windows 7 install on SSD

Hi all,

I just purchased an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD and I forsee some problems with installing my version of Windows 7 onto it. I want to make sure TRIM is supported (usually by installing a fresh copy of 7), but the version I own is an upgrade only disk from a college campus (not a full install). When I first bought this new computer with a blank HDD, I had to install the old XP that I had (which was a full install) then upgrade to vista using the campus vista upgrade disk that I have (also not a full install disk), then upgrade to 7. Phew, that was a lot of work and I'm willing to do it again, but I want to make sure that TRIM and all the good SSD features of Windows 7 will work since previous versions of Windows were already installed that did not support these features.

Sorry for the long question, but if anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated. Or, if I can copy my existing Windows 7 drive to my SSD while making sure TRIM is enabled I would love to know how to do this too.

Thanks in advance!

All I can think of is torrenting the .iso of a full install disc of your version, and using the key from the upgrade. I wanted to upgrade to 64 bit win7, but I only had a 32 bit disc. Since my key is valid on either, I just downloaded the disc image, burned to a dvd, and installed.

If and its a big one, you have AHCI setup on your curent drive which I highly doubt because you had W XP installed initialy then it might work with trim support, however if your in IDE mode then the answer will be no.

You can call microsoft and tell them your doing a fresh install and they will give you a different code thingy for win 7 and it all works. did it last year with a friend when his parents gave him the upgrade for xmas and not the full. I was suprised that micro call support was so helpful

All I can think of is torrenting the .iso of a full install disc of your version, and using the key from the upgrade. I wanted to upgrade to 64 bit win7, but I only had a 32 bit disc. Since my key is valid on either, I just downloaded the disc image, burned to a dvd, and installed.

I would do this since I rightly own Windows 7 but unfortunately the ISP at my apartment complex does not think kindly of downloading copy-protected materials...

If and its a big one, you have AHCI setup on your curent drive which I highly doubt because you had W XP installed initialy then it might work with trim support, however if your in IDE mode then the answer will be no.

I would venture to guess that it is in IDE mode so I suppose that would not work. I take it when I do a fresh install of 7 I will need to have AHCI selected instead of IDE? And will this affect any compatibility/performance with my HDD?

You can call microsoft and tell them your doing a fresh install and they will give you a different code thingy for win 7 and it all works. did it last year with a friend when his parents gave him the upgrade for xmas and not the full. I was suprised that micro call support was so helpful

This is a great idea, I will most definitely give it a try! It will definitely save me a ton of time and a few write cycles to the SSD.

I will try to call Microsoft today before my SSD comes and if that doesn't pan out I will use your recommendation. Does anyone have any thoughts on installing the SSD on an overclocked system? I'm running my i7 930 very stably at 3.8ghz (using the BIOS not the ASUS Turbo V program) and am not sure if this will somehow become unstable by reinstalling win 7 to the SSD.

One other thing, if I enable AHCI will that render my old HDD (set up in IDE mode) inoperable?

Hopefully the people you talk to with MS are more help than the ones I talked to last month. I had my copy of W7 x64 I got from my school, the upgrade one. Installed it on my new system last month.. wouldn't activate since it was a fresh install and not an upgrade. Called MS and was pretty much forced to either buy a retail/OEM full version copy or install Vista and then install W7 over that. Talked to them for quite some time and got no help.

So I just finished installing my SSD last night and got some benchmarks up and running (not too many though ;) The picture attached shows some of the results that it brought back, but I must say that I expected the windows experience index to be higher, maybe up around 7.7 - 7.8. Also, seeing write speeds faster than read speeds (and nowhere near the advertised 285MB/s mark) using the ATTO benchmarking tool is a bit unsettling. What could I possibly have done wrong?

I did a fresh install of Win 7 with AHCI enabled. Disabled superfetch, defragmentation, enabled write-caching, and disabled indexing among other tweaks that the OCZ forums said to perform.

I have used the "upgrade" version they sell at the campus bookstore many times! Worst Case Scenario, double install it, works everytime ;) Install it the 1st time, when it doesn't activate, blah, blah,blah.....Reboot, install again and it works perfectly! If you ever have to do it again though, you will have to call MS and go through this long crapy automated way of getting your OS reactivated with MS. But, I have reinstalled my "upgrade" version of Win 7 64bit more times than I can count and never had a problem :)

I have used the "upgrade" version they sell at the campus bookstore many times! Worst Case Scenario, double install it, works everytime ;) Install it the 1st time, when it doesn't activate, blah, blah,blah.....Reboot, install again and it works perfectly! If you ever have to do it again though, you will have to call MS and go through this long crapy automated way of getting your OS reactivated with MS. But, I have reinstalled my "upgrade" version of Win 7 64bit more times than I can count and never had a problem :)

Nice, it's good to know that we're not completely screwed when we buy discounted stuff from campus!

So I just finished installing my SSD last night and got some benchmarks up and running (not too many though ;) The picture attached shows some of the results that it brought back, but I must say that I expected the windows experience index to be higher, maybe up around 7.7 - 7.8. Also, seeing write speeds faster than read speeds (and nowhere near the advertised 285MB/s mark) using the ATTO benchmarking tool is a bit unsettling. What could I possibly have done wrong?

I did a fresh install of Win 7 with AHCI enabled. Disabled superfetch, defragmentation, enabled write-caching, and disabled indexing among other tweaks that the OCZ forums said to perform.

Those advertised speeds are "up to XX MB/s", and you get close to reaching them in the ATTO benchmark for sequential read/writes. Dont put any stock in the Windows score either. Just answer this- do you not love the new speed?? :D