Fried mono?

Actually I upgraded my CPU from a phenom 9850 to a phenom II 965. I updated the bios and restarted before switching CPUs and everything was good. I then swapped out the CPU and restarted. I got no beeps, my hdd activity light did nothing, and no video. So I pulled the cooler to put the 9850 back in and noticed a little arctic silver on the board. I cleaned it off, put back in the 9850 and fired it up again and the same thing. Don't know other than maybe the thermal compound might have ruined the mobo. By the way it is the comp in my sig.

AC5 is no longer the best you can use, and it's also conductive! If you got some on your MB, and it was on or across any 2 connections, your MB is probably fried, and hopefully thats all.

MX-2, MX-3, and MX-4 are non conductive, and non capacitive, and all 3 are better thermal compounds than AC5

When you power up, do any lights what so ever, or any fans start up?

Does your board show any signs of life?

If your MB isn't to old, you should call Asus to RMA the board.

Otherwise, if you don't see any signs of life at all, when you fire it up, it's time to shop for a new MB.

& get some better thermal compound! ;)

Edited by AIinc

Alinc the board is 2 years old. All the fans, the video card, all board and case lights come on when powered. Everything comes on but no video to monitor and no activity out of the hdd light. After putting the 965 in and the comp doing this I put the 9850 back in and did multiple CMOS resets and still the same thing.

no beeps or anything

as the other have said pull everything out except cpu and ram try to boot be sure to reseat the ram though and use only one stick

then you should at least hear a post beep if the mobo is good

if that does not do anything then it is dead