What kind of setup would you recommend for me? (at a complete loss)

Baronofcheese

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these would give me the best mix of sound quality and soundstage?

• audiophile headphones with asus xonar
    • surround gaming headset with asus xonar
    • audiophile headphones with x-fi
    • surround sound gaming headset with x-fi
    • USB surround sound gaming headset

My G35 just broke after about a year of near-constant use. I've been looking for something to replace it with, but after reading so many conflicting reviews, as well as hearing about how "X.1 surround in headsets is just a gimmick", etc., I'm at a complete loss. Now the Astro A40 looks good, but its price is a bitter pill to swallow, I'm also not sure if the quality will be proportional to the price, or if it will meet all of my expectations.

Which brings me to my question: I'm looking for high quality sound with good audio positioning for gaming, I've tried the logitech g35 and the tritton ax360, but so far both have disappointed me. What the hell can I do/buy to get what I want here, without resorting to speakers? Do I need a soundcard for that, and if so, which one should I get?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Baronofcheese

Are you looking for just headphones or a headset? Headsets have the microphone attached, headphones don't. I can recommend several of each, just depends on what you want. Also, what is your budget?

Are you looking for just headphones or a headset? Headsets have the microphone attached, headphones don't. I can recommend several of each, just depends on what you want. Also, what is your budget?

Either one, I like how convenient headsets are, but my first priority is sound quality and positioning. As for a budget, I'd rather not spend more than $150 on the cans, I could maybe manage $175. As for the soundcard, maybe $100-1$20 max. I'd like a setup that sounds great, but actually allows me to hear where shots and sounds are coming from within a game, a setup whose quality is proportional to its cost, without having to use speakers. Basically something that allows me to fully immerse myself in the game without really breaking the bank (without exceeding 300 bucks).

Edited by Baronofcheese

I like the look of the Corsair HS1. They seem to have achieved a good compromise between a gaming headset and an audio headset at a good price.

Thanks for the input, the corsair does look like a good choice, but if possible I'd like something that can be used with a soundcard.

Are there any analog surround headsets that you would recommend? Or are they are all garbage? Maybe something with an optical input instead?

Edited by Baronofcheese

Thanks for the input, the corsair does look like a good choice, but if possible I'd like something that can be used with a soundcard.

Are there any analog surround headsets that you would recommend? Or are they are all garbage? Maybe something with an optical input instead?

Some analog headsets, like the Zalman one, work out alright but may not include a subwoofer input. Just front, center, and rear. The Zalman is one such model that lacks a dedicated subwoofer input so the bass is always a bit lacking in them. It is also lacking a dedicated microphone but luckily Zalman makes one that clips on to the cord.

If you're looking for a surround headset, choices are overwhelmingly in favor of USB inputs because those take a regular stereo headset and include some proprietary sound technology (like Dolby) to simulate a surround effect.

Some analog headsets, like the Zalman one, work out alright but may not include a subwoofer input. Just front, center, and rear. The Zalman is one such model that lacks a dedicated subwoofer input so the bass is always a bit lacking in them. It is also lacking a dedicated microphone but luckily Zalman makes one that clips on to the cord.

If you're looking for a surround headset, choices are overwhelmingly in favor of USB inputs because those take a regular stereo headset and include some proprietary sound technology (like Dolby) to simulate a surround effect.

In your experience how well have you found that effect to be simulated?

Would it have any advantages over the headphone and soundcard setup as far as audio quality goes?

Edited by Baronofcheese

Personally, I cannot stand USB headsets since I've always had a good discrete sound card installed. A USB headset relies solely on the USB adapter to supply the audio, so if you have a good or even decent sound card, you won't be experiencing any audio with it.. just the USB thing. I find most, not all, USB options poor in some way but there are some really standout ones.

That being said, some sound cards do have the option to enable a simulated surround effect when using a stereo source, be it 2.1 speakers or a stereo headphone. I like playing games with that enabled on my sound card because I game exclusively with headphones. Sure, its not a substitute for hooking up a 5.1 or even 7.1 speaker system, but since I don't have the room for that, it works out just fine. Doesn't hurt either that I customized my sound card to tailor the sound exactly how I like. :P

Personally, I cannot stand USB headsets since I've always had a good discrete sound card installed. A USB headset relies solely on the USB adapter to supply the audio, so if you have a good or even decent sound card, you won't be experiencing any audio with it.. just the USB thing. I find most, not all, USB options poor in some way but there are some really standout ones.

That being said, some sound cards do have the option to enable a simulated surround effect when using a stereo source, be it 2.1 speakers or a stereo headphone. I like playing games with that enabled on my sound card because I game exclusively with headphones. Sure, its not a substitute for hooking up a 5.1 or even 7.1 speaker system, but since I don't have the room for that, it works out just fine. Doesn't hurt either that I customized my sound card to tailor the sound exactly how I like. :P

I suppose it's all I can do until they come out with cochlear nerve implants :-/

Senheissers and a xonar it is then, thanks for all the input. :thx:

Edited by Baronofcheese

I love my Plantronics Gamecom 777 headset! It can do either usb or analog, although you do have to use the usb connection to get the simulated surround sound. The sound for games is very nice imo and I do notice sounds in games are alot clearer than they were with my previous headsets. The most important part for me is the fact that they are the most comfortable pair I have ever owned as in I can sit on my lazy butt for up to 12 hours and not even notice I have them on. lol

I love my Plantronics Gamecom 777 headset! It can do either usb or analog, although you do have to use the usb connection to get the simulated surround sound. The sound for games is very nice imo and I do notice sounds in games are alot clearer than they were with my previous headsets. The most important part for me is the fact that they are the most comfortable pair I have ever owned as in I can sit on my lazy butt for up to 12 hours and not even notice I have them on. lol

Any serious cons? How's the build quality look?