AMD North Bridges

Yeah, I was wondering if the nvidia chipset was the source of my problems, but I couldn't justify buying another 775 mobo just to have it potentially not work. I don't remember if the system continued to hang when I was borrowing my roommates gtx 260, it was so frequent around that time, all of the hangings seem to blend together.

And tbh, if changing chipsets were to fix my issues, I would not be opposed to upgrading to DDR3, seeing as it's going to be a necessary upgrade for the future anyway.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the MSI 890fxa gd70 great board very capable Overclocker never had an issue with any of there boards that I have owned. My question is why the 965 look at the 1055T great chip easy to OC and pretty close in budget.

I have the MSI 890fxa gd70 great board very capable Overclocker never had an issue with any of there boards that I have owned. My question is why the 965 look at the 1055T great chip easy to OC and pretty close in budget.

^ +1

I guess the main reason I wasn't considering the 1055T is because it's a hexa-core, and I really see no need for it in my situation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it essentially useless to buy a 6 core processor when all you do on the computer is game? I was under the impression that there weren't any games out there that even came close to needing six cores.

Yeah, I was wondering if the nvidia chipset was the source of my problems, but I couldn't justify buying another 775 mobo just to have it potentially not work. I don't remember if the system continued to hang when I was borrowing my roommates gtx 260, it was so frequent around that time, all of the hangings seem to blend together.

And tbh, if changing chipsets were to fix my issues, I would not be opposed to upgrading to DDR3, seeing as it's going to be a necessary upgrade for the future anyway.

Wait so you wouldn't want to buy a new board, but want new memory....You just contradicted yourself there :P

You could probably find a nice DDR2 P45 on the forums here or elsewhere (maybe ebay?) for a good price and not have to spend MORE money on memory, maybe even make back a little of the board's price with your 750i.

I'm just wondering if your actual board is bad though, did you ever RMA it??

Wait so you wouldn't want to buy a new board, but want new memory....You just contradicted yourself there :P

You could probably find a nice DDR2 P45 on the forums here or elsewhere (maybe ebay?) for a good price and not have to spend MORE money on memory, maybe even make back a little of the board's price with your 750i.

No, I was saying that I wouldn't be opposed to buying a 775 board that required DDR3 RAM, because sooner or later I'm gonna need to upgrade to DDR3 anyway, so I might as well cut the bull crap DDR2 upgrades out haha

I'm just wondering if your actual board is bad though, did you ever RMA it??

Three times now, the first two times I was not contacted by Asus in any way shape or form while the board was being processed, they couldn't find a problem, so rather than calling me or sending me an email trying to troubleshoot it, they sent it back saying they "fixed" it. It froze again within the first three minutes of having it back. Finally I got a hold of a manager and told him if this were to happen again I'd report them to the BBB and he sent me a refurb board instead of mine back.

The refurb board held out for about three days before it the first hang, but I'm just so fed up with not having a computer due to this part or the other being in an RMA process that I just do my best to work around it. Gotta save verrrry frequently.

If thats the case then its more then likely not the motherboard thats the problem. id wager maybe a bad stick of memory or the HDD, have you run tests on other parts of your computer to completely narrow it down to the motherboard?

Edit: just re-read one of your earlier posts, so its probably not the memory, hmm... tried a different HDD?

Edited by SenitaL

If thats the case then its more then likely not the motherboard thats the problem. id wager maybe a bad stick of memory or the HDD, have you run tests on other parts of your computer to completely narrow it down to the motherboard?

That's what I was thinking - a bad stick of memory (or any number of other things) could easily cause these issues.

I've left memtest running for 26 hours, 0 errors, I've run HDD tests, which told me I had a bad cable, but I replaced the cable and the hangs persisted. I RMA'd my 4870 to Asus, they upgraded me to a 5850, the problem persists. I've reapplied thermal paste even though my temps are always good, just in case my temp monitors were farking up. I've since replaced my 650w Rosewill PSU with a 750w Corsair, and then with a 1000w Kingwin (given to me by others, not purchased to fix this problem). I even reinstalled windows 7 before I finally decided it was time to RMA the mobo. You know the story since that initial RMA.

The only thing I haven't replaced/tested is the CPU, but I've tried both underclocking and overclocking it, as well as adjusting the voltage to both it and the memory.

Honestly, the only thing I can think of, and to me it makes perfect sense, is that my ATi video card are conflicting in some way with the NVIDIA 750i chipset. Then again, I'm not the most knowledgeable about chipsets and specifics like that, but it just seems like it would make sense for something NVIDIA to not exactly agree with my ATi stuff.

EDIT: typos :]

Edited by closingcircuits

It's not a problem with mixing the chipset and video card so don't worry about that (the chipset doesn't know what kind of video card you have).

If you've already done all that other testing then it's likely you are just having issues with your mobo.

Edited by Waco

well I guess, but that doesn't explain why the refurbished one they sent me is giving me problems too. I know for a fact it's not mine, cause someone left a nice little whorl pattern fingerprint in thermal paste on the cpu socket cover lol.

I dunno, I'm just so spent on all of this hullabaloo. If you're sure that chipset incompatibility with my video card can't bring about this problem, then I'm almost 100% certain I'm just going to get an 1156 with an i5 or an AM3 and a Phenom proc and give up on the ol' 775.

thanks for your help everyone, it's much appreciated!

EDIT: clarifications :]

Edited by closingcircuits