wd 3tb hdd

camaro_dude15

i noticed on newegg western digital has a new 3 tb hdd, is this new capacity directly related to the new advanced format drives they had before, also any thoughts on this drive, thinking about getting one, the idea of saving so much space with one drive, it would be nice

Edited by camaro_dude15

i noticed on newegg western digital has a new 3 tb hdd, is this new capacity directly related to the new advanced format drives they had before, also any thoughts on this drive, thinking about getting one, the idea of saving so much space with one drive, it would be nice

...you may wanna look into that before ya buy camaro dude. reason being the biggest recognizable capacity by windows 32 bit is 2.19 tb... i haven't done any heavy digging on the subject but the little bit i have read said the 3tb drive is really like a 2tb partition and a 1tb leftover...i probably ought to do more research but there's your heads up...

cya

cj

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/10/western-digitals-3tb-drive-brings-more-than-32-bit-can-handle/

Who's ever going to use 3 Tb ?? 2Tb seems enough

i might like to have a couple of these in my nas 200 for backups and media storage...uhm yea, provided they prove reliable. wd has gotten better over the last 6 or 7 years...

Guest ajmatson

I have almost 2TB filled in my RAID-1 so far with movies (mostly dvd and Blu-Ray) as well as my system backups. I would love a few of these in RAID-5 :)

I have ~11.5 TB (5 TB in RAID 1 + 1.5 TB boot volume) in my HTPC and I almost bought 2 more 2 TB drives today from the Newegg sale. When you back up every movie, game, and CD you own you can fill a large drive pretty quickly.