Rage Against The Machine

TEK_Speedy

that mobo and cpu will need dual channel memory not triple channel...1333 will get the job done...1600 would be better

this is nice and a bit cheaper save a few bucks

or maybe this ....either one will get er done...

quad core goodness for me...it would be way cool if you could figure out a way to get the i7 875k rather than the i7 870

there's nothing wrong with that mobo; you made a good choice !

:withstupid: except get these! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226154

minus the 875K part as the price will never be justified.

I guess that reply confuses me a bit. Are you simply stating that the motherboard/cpu are not compatible with triple channel ram?

That 4GB stick looks pretty tasty. If I get it, could I get another one later and have 8GB? Even though two of them wouldn't be dual channel, it would work properly to have two, right?

:withstupid: except get these! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226154

minus the 875K part as the price will never be justified.

Is that ram better because of the 10 timings?

EDIT: If I understand correctly, lower timings are better.

On a side note, I understand that the i7-870 only supports 1066/1333 ddr3 memory, so why go with 1600?

EG: These would be the best as in what's supported natively? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148327

Edited by TEK_Speedy

Is that ram better because of the 10 timings?

umm ivi is right, that's better ram... and yes you are right, the mobo and cpu are incompatible with triple channel ram. dual channel for socket 1156, triple channel for socket 1366....

and the i7 875k is a better cpu than the 870 period, no justification needed...

and the i7 875k is a better cpu than the 870 period, no justification needed...

Why is it better? At $40 more 'no justification needed' isn't necessarily a good reason to someone who doesn't know why. One is locked, one is unlocked, all I can see.

Also, why recommend DDR3-1600 with a CPU that says it can only support 1333mhz max, is there something I'm missing?

Edited by TEK_Speedy

Why is it better? At $40 more 'no justification needed' isn't necessarily a good reason to someone who doesn't know why. One is locked, one is unlocked, all I can see.

The unlocked multiplier means you can overclock more easily and higher

Also, why recommend DDR3-1600 n a CPU that says it can only support DDR3-1333 max, is there something I'm missing?

You will just need to be set on a RAM overclocking profile for that frequency , thats what I needed to do on my Crosshair. It will still work

Edited by Nyt Ryda

The unlocked multiplier means you can overclock more easily and higher

You will just need to be set on a RAM overclocking profile for that frequency , thats what I needed to do on my Crosshair. It will still work

and if you have a microcenter nearby the i7 875k is 249.99 plus tax with in store pick-up...cheap!