R.I.P 360 Slim

ir_cow

nope, parts break on all sorts of hardware all the time. But comparing the xbox issues to the PC issues... I'm pretty sure that most people would prefer to have a PC problem rather than an Xbox problem. Not to mention that consoles get the same problems always, and they never get fixed and there isn't a fix and whenever u buy one, you're basically playing the lottery.

Seriously? No ...are being serious? Because that is absolutely THE WORST "pro PC debate" I've ever seen. Let's look at some facts:

1. Number of Issues - since you brought up the debate I'm putting the burden of proof on you... count the number of PC issues versus the number of console issues.
  2. You bring up severity ...as in people would "prefer to have a PC problem rather than Xbox problem" ...people rely on their PC for work and other needs, why on Earth would they want their PC broken over a console??? I mean seriously, did you even think this one through before you typed it? A broken console means no gaming ...big deal. No PC means no gaming, no work, no e-mail, no social networking, no googling, no looking up maps, no searching for restaurants or movie times, no looking up game trailers, no reading reviews, no research, etc.. Granted when I am at home I only use my PC for gaming ...I don't even surf the web. But when its broken I sure thank all that is holy I have a backup so I can talk with other computer geeks to see if we can figure out the problem if I cannot figure it out on my own. And I have 1 PC that is completely dead right now - I've tried replacing just about every part and I can't figure it out ...nor can anyone else so I had to build a new PC. Not fun. I couldn't disagree with you anymore on this subject.
  3. Price - many PC parts cost more than a console
  4. Warranty - some graphics card companies have great warranties, some don't. You fry your CPU / motherboard ...guess who's replacing it? ...YOU! Guess who is spending hours trying to diagnose the problem? ...YOU! Because my track history with these companies is that many have crappy warranties and are very quick to blame it on OCing ...even if you weren't
  5. Chain Reaction - If some PC parts fail (most notably either the power supply or motherboard) sometimes other parts fail in unison ...thus increasing the cost and diagnosis time
  6. If something fails in a console and if it falls in the warranty period, the manufacturer has to fix the unit as a whole for free

Now let's look at track history. Until this current generation of consoles, you RARELY heard of a console failing ...and if you did you could almost always attribute it to the owner being tool and doing something they shouldn't have. Everything manufactured is going to have some bad apples, but the failure rates were VERY LOW ...even without comparing to today's consoles. So I'm sure there were some legit malfunctions back in the day but I honestly never heard of them till the 360/PS3/Wii came out. And yes, the Wii has its own issues too.

You don't want me to account for all the PC parts that have failed on me or tally up how much it has cost me or how much time I've wasted trying to fix those issues. My 360 failed but the hardest thing I had to do was call Xbox Support twice since the first guy refused to help me. The second call was a breeze ...even though my Xbox was OVER 3yrs old which put it past any of the warranty periods. Xbox only extended the warranty to 3yrs max so they had no obligation to help me, but they took care of it and even took care of the postage of it. They even gave me a free month of xbox live to account for the period of time I didn't have my xbox. Shame my ISP doesn't do that.

You can be pro-PC and hate consoles all you want but posts like these don't prove your point ...especially when there are desperate people nearly every day frantically trying to fix their PC. I used to hang out at the DFI motherboard forums and you could spend every day helping someone out trying to troubleshoot their PC issue. Granted most were user error but there were a lot of legit part malfunctions as well.

Edited by Fogel

Seriously? No ...are being serious? Because that is absolutely THE WORST "pro PC debate" I've ever seen. Let's look at some facts:

1. Number of Issues - since you brought up the debate I'm putting the burden of proof on you... count the number of PC issues versus the number of console issues.
  2. You bring up severity ...as in people would "prefer to have a PC problem rather than Xbox problem" ...people rely on their PC for work and other needs, why on Earth would they want their PC broken over a console??? I mean seriously, did you even think this one through before you typed it? A broken console means no gaming ...big deal. No PC means no gaming, no work, no e-mail, no social networking, no googling, no looking up maps, no searching for restaurants or movie times, no looking up game trailers, no reading reviews, no research, etc.. Granted when I am at home I only use my PC for gaming ...I don't even surf the web. But when its broken I sure thank all that is holy I have a backup so I can talk with other computer geeks to see if we can figure out the problem if I cannot figure it out on my own. And I have 1 PC that is completely dead right now - I've tried replacing just about every part and I can't figure it out ...nor can anyone else so I had to build a new PC. Not fun. I couldn't disagree with you anymore on this subject.
  3. Price - many PC parts cost more than a console
  4. Warranty - some graphics card companies have great warranties, some don't. You fry your CPU / motherboard ...guess who's replacing it? ...YOU! Guess who is spending hours trying to diagnose the problem? ...YOU! Because my track history with these companies is that many have crappy warranties and are very quick to blame it on OCing ...even if you weren't
  5. Chain Reaction - If some PC parts fail (most notably either the power supply or motherboard) sometimes other parts fail in unison ...thus increasing the cost and diagnosis time
  6. If something fails in a console and if it falls in the warranty period, the manufacturer has to fix the unit as a whole for free

Now let's look at track history. Until this current generation of consoles, you RARELY heard of a console failing ...and if you did you could almost always attribute it to the owner being tool and doing something they shouldn't have. Everything manufactured is going to have some bad apples, but the failure rates were VERY LOW ...even without comparing to today's consoles. So I'm sure there were some legit malfunctions back in the day but I honestly never heard of them till the 360/PS3/Wii came out. And yes, the Wii has its own issues too.

You don't want me to account for all the PC parts that have failed on me or tally up how much it has cost me or how much time I've wasted trying to fix those issues. My 360 failed but the hardest thing I had to do was call Xbox Support twice since the first guy refused to help me. The second call was a breeze ...even though my Xbox was OVER 3yrs old which put it past any of the warranty periods. Xbox only extended the warranty to 3yrs max so they had no obligation to help me, but they took care of it and even took care of the postage of it. They even gave me a free month of xbox live to account for the period of time I didn't have my xbox. Shame my ISP doesn't do that.

You can be pro-PC and hate consoles all you want but posts like these don't prove your point ...especially when there are desperate people nearly every day frantically trying to fix their PC. I used to hang out at the DFI motherboard forums and you could spend every day helping someone out trying to troubleshoot their PC issue. Granted most were user error but there were a lot of legit part malfunctions as well.

lol I don't like consoles not for the simplicity of not liking them, but because they are bad platforms with much more flaws than a PC. It's as simple as that. This debate is totally pointless every time it starts, anywhere it starts so I'll just let u think whatever. I really couldn't care less about the consoles and their faulty designs. Though I do admit that I am at fault for kind of sparking this bs, but I still stand with my original post of this being a small victory for the PC.

Death by a million paper cuts.

in this current time i find consoles (whatever you pick) has a better value compared to PCs for games. simply because to play lets say Bad Company 2 (for the sake of muti-platform), you can pop a disc into a drive and play. For PCs it costs a ton more, has upkeep and needs to be replaced every 1-2 years to keep up with current games, plus non returnable games.

PC Pros:

- Muti-use (IE Web)

- Better looking games

Console Pros:

- Newest Games at almost no cost

- Can buy used games

- Failed consoles easy to manage (buy new or warrenty)

and for the record the only thing that hasn't broken on me would be my GameBoy from like 91 (those things were HUGE and would not break from throwing it lol).

Consoles:

GameBoy - Still works

GameGear - won't turn on

NES- Loader Broke

Sega Genesis- Ports on back broke inwards, must wiggle to see anything

SNES - Turned yellow and power button broke

GBA (Flip one)- Snapped in half (maybe thats my fault)

PS1- Overheated

PS2 Fat and Slim - Bad disc drive

Xbox - Bad hard drive than bad disc drive

PS3 Fat- YLOD (once in a while)

Xbox 360 - RROD 3x Bad drive 2x

Wii- Disc gets stuck in drive.

PC-

- Bad dvd drive 2x

- Bad HDD 3x

- Bad Video card 1x

- Upgrades 1000000x lol

Edited by hornybluecow

I can't believe that I actually agree with ballsacks but, he does have a point. We have 5 Dells at my work and we have had to replace 1 of them in the past 7 years do to failure because the building got struck by lightning. I know people that are on there 4th XBox 360 and they have all failed because of the Red Ring of Death, I think there are some people on here that are on their 5th or 6th because of that one issue. The only reason that Microsoft extended the Warranty to 3 years is because it was cheaper than doing a recall which should have been done.

I can't believe that I actually agree with ballsacks but, he does have a point. We have 5 Dells at my work and we have had to replace 1 of them in the past 7 years do to failure because the building got struck by lightning. I know people that are on there 4th XBox 360 and they have all failed because of the Red Ring of Death, I think there are some people on here that are on their 5th or 6th because of that one issue. The only reason that Microsoft extended the Warranty to 3 years is because it was cheaper than doing a recall which should have been done.

Actually you are only partially agreeing with him. I think many of us here probably agree about 360 failures being an issue but for people that have a PS3 or Wii, the failure rate is much lower and that's what sack is talking about, all consoles, and that's why he is wrong.

I find myself agreeing with Fogel though, I think his post was probably the best thought out on this topic in this thread so far.

lol I don't like consoles not for the simplicity of not liking them, but because they are bad platforms with much more flaws than a PC. It's as simple as that. This debate is totally pointless every time it starts, anywhere it starts so I'll just let u think whatever. I really couldn't care less about the consoles and their faulty designs. Though I do admit that I am at fault for kind of sparking this bs, but I still stand with my original post of this being a small victory for the PC.

Death by a million paper cuts.

I don't know who changed your name (or if you did it) but it's perfectly fitting.

Also - you suck at trolling. If you aren't trolling and you're actually being serious then I feel very sorry for you.

I'll also agree with Fogel's reasoning - I'd much rather my Xbox blow up. The only hassle from that is that I have to call MS and get it replaced (at zero cost to me). If my computer blows up it ends up costing me FAR more money in addition to the inconvenience of having my computer not up and running...

Edited by Waco

I don't know who changed your name (or if you did it) but it's perfectly fitting.

Also - you suck at trolling. If you aren't trolling and you're actually being serious then I feel very sorry for you.

I'll also agree with Fogel's reasoning - I'd much rather my Xbox blow up. The only hassle from that is that I have to call MS and get it replaced (at zero cost to me). If my computer blows up it ends up costing me FAR more money in addition to the inconvenience of having my computer not up and running...

i feel sorry for all the people that own a console and actually think it's a good gaming platform.

i feel sorry for all the people that own a console and actually think it's a good gaming platform.

Ever tried to play a racing game on a PC without an $80 steering wheel? How about games like Mirror's Edge? I do agree that in general, PC's are better for gamers, but the only blanket statement that should ever be made is that blanket statements are bad.

I hate feeding trolls, but sometimes you just have to. :dunno:

Edited by TheHippi
  • Like 1

Ever tried to play a racing game on a PC without an $80 steering wheel? How about games like Mirror's Edge? I do agree that in general, PC's are better for gamers, but the only blanket statement that should ever be made is that blanket statements are bad.

Mirror's Edge works fine for me, thank you very much.

Then again, I am used to platforming from the Ratchet & Clank series...

a consoles controller is just as good as mouse & keyboard when it comes to platforming and racing. It makes zero difference unless you are playing them competitively in which case you wouldn't want either, and would rather use a $80 steering wheel anyways. For platforming and fighting I've got my Sega Saturn controller for 16$ and it works perfectly.

Edited by sack_patrol

a consoles controller is just as good as mouse & keyboard when it comes to platforming and racing. It makes zero difference unless you are playing them competitively in which case you wouldn't want either, and would rather use a $80 steering wheel anyways. For platforming and fighting I've got my Sega Saturn controller for 16$ and it works perfectly.

You're right, a controller is just as good as a mouse and keyboard for racing because it is better than a mouse and keyboard. An analog stick gives much finer control than wasd keys. Plus you have better acceleration and braking control with triggers, because they are pressure sensitive. I'm not saying that a controller is good for competitive play, but at least it's not a handicap.