Changing default drive location for installs

diztrukted

Hey OCC,

I wanted to ask how would I change the default drive location for installs, I know most programs will typically ask you where you want to install them but not all of them will do this and it'll default to the c drive.

Should I change my driver letter? I tried changing it but it windows 7 wouldn't let because windows is installed on it.

I want to avoid filling up my SSD, which is why I ask.

Hey OCC,

I wanted to ask how would I change the default drive location for installs, I know most programs will typically ask you where you want to install them but not all of them will do this and it'll default to the c drive.

Should I change my driver letter? I tried changing it but it windows 7 wouldn't let because windows is installed on it.

I want to avoid filling up my SSD, which is why I ask.

This is a question I would like to have answered too

Google it.....

install windows as default then change the location of Program files and Program files x86...thats where everything else installs....

it is easily done...I had to do that as well...install windows on the SSD and then move the two files to a D:/ drive thats 640gb....thats where everything else resides...

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-server-2008/how-to-change-default-program-files-folder-location-in-win-server-2008/

• 1 month later...

Google it.....

install windows as default then change the location of Program files and Program files x86...thats where everything else installs....

it is easily done...I had to do that as well...install windows on the SSD and then move the two files to a D:/ drive thats 640gb....thats where everything else resides...

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-server-2008/how-to-change-default-program-files-folder-location-in-win-server-2008/

yeah but there's a slight problem with that

"in windows 7, after changing the path new programs will install to the alternate folder, but the built in programs like windows media player with the shortcut path %programfiles% try to find the program in the alternate location i specified in the reg key."