Can I already be at the limit of my PSU, getting BSOD?

Hello everyone, I'm having some strange problems with my current system (see sig) and it seems that my overclocked GTX 480 and/or my Enermax Infinity 720 watt power supply might be having problems, but I'm no expert. When I first installed my water cooled GTX 480 and began overclocking it to 905MHz/1810MHz/4200MHz @ 1.125v 52-54C loaded it immediately began a series of repeated BSOD with the screenshot at bottom of post.

Before the BSOD would happen the OCCT and OC Scanner would get all wacked out with the letters and numbers would become smeared square pixels that were unreadable then the BSOD would happen. So I decided to remove two EK LED kits for both my EK X-Top V2 pump top and my EK Supreme HF CPU cooling block, to my surprise after removing both LED kits the BSOD stopped for good. After removing those LED kits I was able to overclock a little further without BSOD but not by much, some have stated that my power supply is nowhere near its limits yet the symptoms says otherwise, is there a way to truly find out if my power supply is at its limits without spending a fortune?

Thank you and much appreciated, Systemlord.

picture003ra.jpg

Your GTX480 will only need approximately 400W so I think it's unlikely your power supply is at fault although it can't be ruled out entirely. Is your graphics card overclock stable? How does your graphics card behave at stock when stressed?

Your GTX480 will only need approximately 400W so I think it's unlikely your power supply is at fault although it can't be ruled out entirely. Is your graphics card overclock stable? How does your graphics card behave at stock when stressed?

:withstupid:

DEFINITELY not your PSU

The above post (thread starter) was in response to how my computer behaved two weeks ago when I first received my new GTX 480, however after stressing the hell out of my card for the two weeks that I've have it the BSOD seem a but on vacation. I found a 100% stable OC @ 880MHz/1760MHz/4200MHz memory @ 1.125v 58C loaded at a room temperature of 76 degrees fahrenheit. Here's the strange thing, lastnight I thought I would re-install the LEDs and push my OC to 905MHz/1810MHz/4200MHz @ 1.138v just to confirm my earlier findings.

What happened next was a surprise to say the least, not only did my OC of 905MHz/1810MHz/4200MHz @ 1.138v with (52C loaded) the exact same room temperature of 76 degrees fahrenheit I passed 6 hours of OC Scanner ("Power Draw Control" enabled) where before it was impossible do to crashing and repeated BSODs! As if things couldn't get anymore complicated, what changed in those two weeks of stressing testing my card?

Your help is much appreciated!

-Systemlord

Seen that BSOD before! Its video related. Make sure you run the fan speed up on the card before you start overclocking it otherwise it reaches critical mass pretty quickly! Fan speed helps tremendously

Water cooled GTX 480.

Edited by Systemlord