GTX460 or 6870?

Imagine

i cant see how ud go a 460... it gets owned by a 5850..and the 6870 owns the 5870 in quiet a few places.. and its far cheaper... but having said that.. atleast here in australia.. the 460 is far cheaper.. less than $200 and the 6870 is 315...so for an extra $85.. u could get SLi 460's lol

are those 1GB 460's or the 768MB ones, if the latter. :sick:

anyway I actually see the 6870 as pretty badass with power consumption and beating a highly overclocked 460 1GB most of the time (and it, itself can still overclock...)

It's a tough pick since the 460 1GB is a bit cheaper though

i am :) but only when the facts are there..

really though.. im gettin a pair of 480's :) hahaha hows that for a fanboi!

Haha! Sorry if I came off as a jerkwad. The woman and I have been having a bit of a fight tonight and it's spilling over onto the forums. Shame on me. :P

all good man.. doesnt bother me at all :) and im pretty sure women are the cause of all wars hahaha just given other titles like.. "i want ur land" wars or "i have more weapons that u" war.. when really..... hahahah

im a more serious note though... like i said before.. when it comes to price/performance the 460 is untouchable :)

Enjoy your new furnace ! :P Lol , I had a GTX480 and couldnt even overclock it because it was so hot . Hope you're watercooling them .

Im getting a 6990 but I'll still agree that the GTX460 is better for the OP

I don't get that, I've still got my 480 and I'm planning to put another in SLI or some stage or maybe upgrade depending on the 6900 series and/or price changes. But mine is overclocked quite a bit and the temperature is never too bad. Not to the extent that your was maybe, but still, for Australia, it's pretty reasonable. Runs about even with my friends 260 actually, maybe 5 degrees hotter. I DO however plan on liquid cooling early next year.

I don't get that, I've still got my 480 and I'm planning to put another in SLI or some stage or maybe upgrade depending on the 6900 series and/or price changes. But mine is overclocked quite a bit and the temperature is never too bad. Not to the extent that your was maybe, but still, for Australia, it's pretty reasonable. Runs about even with my friends 260 actually, maybe 5 degrees hotter. I DO however plan on liquid cooling early next year.

What are your clocks ? I was running 898mhz core ,1796mhz shader and 2475mhz on mem . But I could still never overclock the GTX480 like I can my 5970

The reason I'm also considering waiting is you know how AMD/ATi are at first time drivers. They suck. I don't want to buy a GTX460 and find out in the future that the 6870 would have torn it a new one with new drivers. If this 6870 came down in price by like £20 - £40 it would be the prime contender. This 460 is currently my main target during the Christmas or Black Friday sales.

It seems everyone (except mattyamdfanboi) that thats commented so far such as El Capitan, IVI ,Hemidare and sheldorisafk , have all had a GTX460 at least once . I've got a 5970 and nobodys pair of GTX460's can beat it when its overclocked . But with the new generation , overclocking the 6870 is pretty limited because its meant to be mid range .

Let's do some benchmark comparisons! What would be a $400 pair of GTX 460 1GB's vs the $650 HD 5970, both overclocked! I know I'll get beat, but by how much is what I'm interested in. I really need to unlock my voltage...

Let's do some benchmark comparisons! What would be a $400 pair of GTX 460 1GB's vs the $650 HD 5970, both overclocked! I know I'll get beat, but by how much is what I'm interested in. I really need to unlock my voltage...

Well i just benchmarked my 2 460's and i am getting low 20,000's with my rig in my sig. I will pull the actual numbers a bit later today......have to go to work.

Yeah but how loud are both cards at those temps

Well i just benchmarked my 2 460's and i am getting low 20,000's with my rig in my sig. I will pull the actual numbers a bit later today......have to go to work.

lol in what benchmark?

how about if i have an AMD cpu and crossfire motherboard...

should i still get the GTX460?

Because you say crossfire only , I'd say go 6870 since its the same performance and a little more expensive but more future-friendly.