GTX460 or 6870?

Imagine

Hey everyone :)

What would be a wiser move to make from a performance to price aspect. I'm considering going to GTX460 or 6870 considering they're similar prices. Any ideas or is it to early in the life of the 6800's to say?

Depends on the resolution. From what I've studied:

1. HD 6870 performance is good, crossfire scaling is good, but still not better than SLI scaling, especially for Min FPS.

2. HD 6870 overclocking has been around 5-10% (still too early, though). The GTX 460 1GB, my goodness, is around 35-40%.

It's a tough choice, but I'd still go with a GTX 460 1GB, plus it's $30 cheaper.

Oh right. Would the fact that I'm rocking a sexy little 19" LCD (1440 x 900) screen tip the table slightly? I could also wait till December for Christmas sales to kick in and pick up a bargain on maybe a 69xx card or even a GTX470 or would that not be a good move?

Oh right. Would the fact that I'm rocking a sexy little 19" LCD (1440 x 900) screen tip the table slightly? I could also wait till December for Christmas sales to kick in and pick up a bargain on maybe a 69xx card or even a GTX470 or would that not be a good move?

With that resolution, shouldn't matter too much. With any of those cards, you can play 1920 x 1200 pretty well. I would wait for Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving), for the best prices. Plus, nearing Christmas, depending on how companies sell, prices also start to plummet. Rarely will after Christmas deals be any better, but sometimes they might.

Just wait. Prices will drop an extra $20 - $60 pending on some coupon deals and combos.

Actually, I read that the price drops on the GTX 470 and GTX 460 1GB was only temporary due to the release launch of the 6850/6870's. They might[/] go back up in 3 weeks.

I doubt it, though. I think you'll find good deals during Black Friday until the end of the year.

i cant see how ud go a 460... it gets owned by a 5850..and the 6870 owns the 5870 in quiet a few places.. and its far cheaper... but having said that.. atleast here in australia.. the 460 is far cheaper.. less than $200 and the 6870 is 315...so for an extra $85.. u could get SLi 460's lol

i cant see how ud go a 460... it gets owned by a 5850..and the 6870 owns the 5870 in quiet a few places.. and its far cheaper... but having said that.. atleast here in australia.. the 460 is far cheaper.. less than $200 and the 6870 is 315...so for an extra $85.. u could get SLi 460's lol

Guess your name really is true. God, I hate fanboys. Anyway, I sorta have to throw my hat into the ring and side with the 460.

Edited by sheldorisafk

It seems everyone (except mattyamdfanboi) that thats commented so far such as El Capitan, IVI ,Hemidare and sheldorisafk , have all had a GTX460 at least once . I've got a 5970 and nobodys pair of GTX460's can beat it when its overclocked . But with the new generation , overclocking the 6870 is pretty limited because its meant to be mid range .

If you're looking for a more budget friendly that offers great performance and overclocking then get a GTX460 . 6900 series's performance is not known but it will cost more .

im gettin a pair of 480's :)

Enjoy your new furnace ! :P Lol , I had a GTX480 and couldnt even overclock it because it was so hot . Hope you're watercooling them .

Im getting a 6990 but I'll still agree that the GTX460 is better for the OP

Edited by Nyt Ryda