Sign in to follow this  
Shurman292

GTX 470 SLI on 650 Watts

Now I know this does not sound like the greatest idea in the world, but I come to understand that Corsair power supplies are some of the best in the business. I have the TX650 in my system currently powering one GTX 470. I have not seen this system go beyond 433 watts at the wall (using a Kill-a-watt meter) so will it be possible/stable/safe to SLI on this power supply? I really do not want to have to rip out the 650 and sell it ;)

Thanks!

That's approximately 350W pulled from the power supply so you'll have more than enough for two GTX 470's but you don't have the required 4 x 6 Pin PCI-E connectors.

I've always wondered why the TX650W has only two 6+2 Pin PCI-E and the HX650W has four?

Put the 470 back to stock clocks and remeasure. (and then you could maybe overclock them both later)

Okay I see a problem. I often hit 550 watts usage with one GTX470 and my 920 folding. If you overclock a pair of 470s to any extreme on that system. You may risk running your system into the ground crying.

What about a 750 watt unit for 470 in SLI.

My thoughts of course.

That's approximately 350W pulled from the power supply so you'll have more than enough for two GTX 470's but you don't have the required 4 x 6 Pin PCI-E connectors.

I've always wondered why the TX650W has only two 6+2 Pin PCI-E and the HX650W has four?

You are correct, and I cannot believe I did not see this before...I guess upgrading will have to wait until I am able to sell my TX650 :(