I7 870 overclocking help

jdm_freek

i just upgraded and not sure on overclocking on new setup here's my setup

I7 870

asus P7P55 lx

G skill ddr3 1600 4 gigs

coolit ECO

so my issue is on my last setup Q9400 4 gigs ddr2 800 i had to up the voltage to get 3.4ghz stable 43c idle and 62c at load

and new setup all i did was set multiplyer to 22x bclk to 177 and no voltage chage but i did have to drop memory speed to 1416mhz but i get 3.89ghz stable

does this sound ok soory im a noob to the I7 anybody

Edited by jdm_freek

First, just raising your Bclk and leaving your voltages on AUTO is not a good idea. You state you haven't changed any voltages, but leaving them on AUTO the Bios does change them and usually by more than what is needed.

You may want to check CPU-Z at idle and load to see what vcore voltage you are using and also stress test (Prime95 or OCCT or IBT) to see what load core temperatures you have using Realtemp or Coretemp.

Your best bet would be to check out a couple of guides that explain the BIOS options and what they are for before overclocking at all so you have an idea of what you are changing, then manually set your voltages.

You can probably get that voltage down a bit, to maybe 1.2250v or 1.23v ? I would set your vcore to that and see if it boots up. If it wont, then just raise the vcore just a bit at a time, and reboot till you get into windows without any BSOD.

Then run a stress test as mentioned above.

BTW...what are you using as a stress test for your load temps, to get 58C???

If your system does boot up at 1.2250 vcore, then go ahead and run the stress test, see if it passes

I like prime 95 & the option for "small ffts", this will concentrate the stress test on your CPU!

Run it for about 2 hours, and if it passes 2 hours, of small fft's, then your good on the cpu settings!

Regards AI

Edited by AIinc

You can probably get that voltage down a bit, to maybe 1.2250v or 1.23v ? I would set your vcore to that and see if it boots up. If it wont, then just raise the vcore just a bit at a time, and reboot till you get into windows without any BSOD.

Then run a stress test as mentioned above.

BTW...what are you using as a stress test for your load temps, to get 58C???

If your system does boot up at 1.2250 vcore, then go ahead and run the stress test, see if it passes

I like prime 95 & the option for "small ffts", this will concentrate the stress test on your CPU!

Run it for about 2 hours, and if it passes 2 hours, of small fft's, then your good on the cpu settings!

Regards AI

just vantage and pcmark and playing crysis warhead on max for 2 hours

I'd suggest IntelBurnTest in combination with Prime95 to test new overclocks.

:withstupid: I use both. One round of Prime95 (usually takes 15 minutes), and 5 iterations of IntelBurnTest to test new settings stability. If I feel like I reached the overclock setting I'm happy with, then I'll run longer tests (at least two hours of Prime95 and 20 iterations of IntelBurnTest). If that passes, I'm happy. Others like to test for longer, but I've never had any issues testing at my settings and running 24/7.

Btw, in your BIOS, set your VCore Over Voltage setting to Fixed Voltage [Manual], then you'll be able to set your CPU voltage.