Sign in to follow this  
sdy284

in the market for a netbook/laptop

See if you can find one of those Ion 2 netbooks. From what I've heard they run really well.

Edit: Like this one. The main advantage one of these has over a regular netbook is that it can play 1080p without stuttering.

That's kind of cool. Though no netbook has a screen that's 1080p. :(

good morning bump :cheers:

Top of the marnin'!

sdy, here are two links to get decently priced laptops (I've never bought from either, yet):

http://www.xoticpc.com/ - These come fully configured, some are downright great deals!

http://www.rjtech.com/ - If you have your own CPU/Memory/Hard Drive/Wireless Card, then this place has some decent barebones prices.

That's kind of cool. Though no netbook has a screen that's 1080p. :(

ya but one might wanna output to their HDTV ;)

Top of the marnin'!

sdy, here are two links to get decently priced laptops (I've never bought from either, yet):

http://www.xoticpc.com/ - These come fully configured, some are downright great deals!

http://www.rjtech.com/ - If you have your own CPU/Memory/Hard Drive/Wireless Card, then this place has some decent barebones prices.

OoooooOOOooh, I've been wanting to check out barebone laptop'n. If/When my laptop ever croaks I'm building my own.

ya but one might wanna output to their HDTV ;)

That defeats the purpose of having a netbook/laptop if you already have a desktop capable of doing that at home.

OoooooOOOooh, I've been wanting to check out barebone laptop'n. If/When my laptop ever croaks I'm building my own.

Yeah, I always wanted the D900F barebones. It was as low as $1600 once without a CPU, Memory, and Hard Drive, but now the price went up since it now has a better GPU. It uses desktop i7's, so an i7 950 on that sucker, 2x2GB laptop memory is around $80, and put in a SSD, that'd be one fast laptop for $2200. Not great on battery life, but I'm always connected to power, anyway, when I'm on vacation or travelling.

well after walking around best buy and playing with some of these things, I really like the 13in form factor, so try and base any recommendations on that please :)

well after walking around best buy and playing with some of these things, I really like the 13in form factor, so try and base any recommendations on that please :)

New Macbook Air? :P

Edited by Waco

That defeats the purpose of having a netbook/laptop if you already have a desktop capable of doing that at home.

Yeah, I always wanted the D900F barebones. It was as low as $1600 once without a CPU, Memory, and Hard Drive, but now the price went up since it now has a better GPU. It uses desktop i7's, so an i7 950 on that sucker, 2x2GB laptop memory is around $80, and put in a SSD, that'd be one fast laptop for $2200. Not great on battery life, but I'm always connected to power, anyway, when I'm on vacation or travelling.

Nah but I use my laptop like that (so I never have to build an HTPC). My desktop is in my room so it's no where near my HDTV.

I just plug my laptop's HDMI out into my TV and then either play videos/movies/shows/anime from that or beam them from my desktop.

Also :sick: , I just looked at the pricing of the barebone kits. They are asking waaaaay too much. I'm sticking with prebuilds.

Even if they were cheap, I'd never get one with a desktop processor. I have my workhorse/gamer laptop, I want my laptop to have good battery life. It's 2.53ghz dual core (25W) can still do some surprisingly good hard work when I need to, I out rendered the quad macintosh's at my school :lol: (though to be fair they were "Power PC" macs, which is another word for IBM based)

Why didn't you jot down the models you liked so we could pair you up with something similar :rolleyes:

anyone of these??: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-8971900224822769048&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=13%22+laptop&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~q313322206c6170746f70~~cabcat0500000%23%233%23%231w~~ncabcat0502000%23%233%23%23m&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

Could ya wait for the AMD Ontario Platform , Its much faster than Intel Atom and they demoed it playing Predator!

Efficiency good??

AMD's Neo was supposedly stronger than the Atom, but it wasn't as battery efficient.

Nah but I use my laptop like that (so I never have to build an HTPC). My desktop is in my room so it's no where near my HDTV.

I just plug my laptop's HDMI out into my TV and then either play videos/movies/shows/anime from that or beam them from my desktop.

Also :sick: , I just looked at the pricing of the barebone kits. They are asking waaaaay too much. I'm sticking with prebuilds.

Even if they were cheap, I'd never get one with a desktop processor. I have my workhorse/gamer laptop, I want my laptop to have good battery life. It's 2.53ghz dual core (25W) can still do some surprisingly good hard work when I need to, I out rendered the quad macintosh's at my school :lol: (though to be fair they were "Power PC" macs, which is another word for IBM based)

Yeah, they are expensive. I wouldn't need that much horsepower in a gaming laptop, anyway. If I needed to do work stuff, I could always VPN and RDP into my desktops or server at home. For a laptop, I want a 1920 x 1200 or 1920 x 1080 screen resolution, and be able to play some games in case I go on vacation or travel.

Yeah, they are expensive. I wouldn't need that much horsepower in a gaming laptop, anyway. If I needed to do work stuff, I could always VPN and RDP into my desktops or server at home. For a laptop, I want a 1920 x 1200 or 1920 x 1080 screen resolution, and be able to play some games in case I go on vacation or travel.

I'm mad that my next laptop is gonna most likely be 16:9, right now I have a 1680x1050 screen on my 15.4"