New Builds

xPETEZx

Hello all,

My dad has been complaing that his system is getting slow, and that he wants windows 7.

He currently has the below:

Core 2 Duo E6700

2GB RAM

nVidia 8500GT

ASUS Commando Board

WD Raptor 80GB

WD 320GB storage

OCZ GameXtrem 500W PSU

What I plan to do is the following:

Build a server for the family (everyone can backup onto it etc) similar to what I have at my place.

Was thinking low spec PC, with lots of storage. The server needs to act as File/Print/FTP/Backup/Windows Update server. So nothing powerful is required.

Not really sure what Mobo/CPU combo to go with.

Was thinking of an Antec 300 case. 3x 1.5TB disks in RAID 5 + 1x OS Disk (Whatever is cheap really)

Need suggestions for PSU (this thing is gonna be on 24/7 so needs to be decent) and CPU/RAM/Mobo

As for the desktop for my dad:

I was thinking:

i5 CPU of some description (Or is it better to go AMD now?)

+ board & CPU

A 128GB SSD (whats best?) (He really wants super fast application start/PC start etc) All data will be on the server, so no other disks required.

Going to keep his Case/Optical drives (Lian Li case)

I was then going to use the parts from his old PC to build a nice media PC for them. (they currently have one with an AMD Sempron in it)

Need a great media style case that supports an ATX board. They currently have a silver AMP & a Black DVD player, so I guess it can be whatever colour.

Also need a graphics card for this. was going to keep the 8500GT in my dads computer.

So, to sumarise, as I realise the above is abit of a mind dumb:

I need help decieding the following:

Server:

*Motherboard

*CPU

*RAM

*PSU

*Possibly Disks?

Dad's PC

*CPU (Quad core)

*RAM

*Motherboard

*SSD

Media PC

*ATX Media Case

*PSU?

What I plan to do is the following:

If I was you i5 750 is the best i5 makes i7 look expensive, 750 is @ 2.66 ghz but don't worry about that, I use the foxconn katana with mine (mobo lights up and has a HEART!!!) also do not keep the 8 series it's no good upgrade to a gtx 460 or 5870 these cards are good gtx480 is good too but rip off price!!

Thanks for the advice on the i5.

But the rest of your post is totally what I do NOT need. Its a PC for my dad, so I do not need a board with a beating heart effect, nor does my dad play nay games whatsoever. Or use any programs that need more than the most basic GPU power.

Hence why I do not see the need to upgrade the GPU.

For your dad, I think you could get something like this..

ASUS M4A87TD/USB 3 - $99.99

AMD Athlon II X4 640 - $99.99

A-DATA 4GB DDR3-1600 - $83.99

Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB - $54.99 or OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD - $209 (if you want the SSD, I think the mechanical drive would suffice)

I just remembered you're in the UK, but the prices will give you an idea anyway. :P

Its a PC for my dad, so I do not need a board with a beating heart effect, nor does my dad play nay games whatsoever. Or use any programs that need more than the most basic GPU power.

Upgrade your Dads ram to 4GB, wipe it and install Windows 7 because it sounds like that's all he's ever likely to need? ;)

:withstupid:

This was my plan.

But, they need a new Media PC anyway. So I though Id sort my dad with a new PC, so that he can have both his old & new running at the same time and make sure he copies EVERYTHING. (including settings files for applications)

Then wipe his old PC and turn it into a Media PC.

Either way I need 2 new PCs.

I like the idea of the AMD route. :) Will checkout prices over here. See if its much cheaper.

Any suggestions for the server? What board/CPU/RAM ? (Got a good idea for case/HDDs)