What's the best processor for gaming??

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T has served me well.

And with the Price AMD is charging for this hexacore cpu, I would go for it! You won't have to worry about upgrading for quite awhile. Even though all those who said that anything more than dual core is really overkill for gaming, which it is, I would still tell you to get the X6 1055T, just because you can't beat the price!

get the AMD 6 core but make sure it's the black edition so you can overclock it easier.

like the others have said, I dont think there's a game out there that uses 6 cores but there's always background stuff happening while you're playing the game which will help cut down the operating system from using the cores that the game is using.

and you'll be ready for the future. always a nice thing to buy for the future instead of the present.

plus the price can't be beat.

get the AMD 6 core but make sure it's the black edition so you can overclock it easier.

like the others have said, I dont think there's a game out there that uses 6 cores but there's always background stuff happening while you're playing the game which will help cut down the operating system from using the cores that the game is using.

and you'll be ready for the future. always a nice thing to buy for the future instead of the present.

plus the price can't be beat.

black edition chips are for the lazy, not to mention for the price hike to get a 1090T I'd rather have an i7 that'll smash it with only 4 cores (for cheaper)

*sigh* Are i7s really just run of the mill now? They are all really high end CPUs, even the 920. Even an i5 would be overkill to be honest. Gaming is not very CPU oriented in most games really, gaming is a much more GPU focussed affair. Any decent Quad Core is going to do great once paired with a strong graphics card. And even a dual core is unlikely to be too stressed.

*sigh* Are i7s really just run of the mill now? They are all really high end CPUs, even the 920. Even an i5 would be overkill to be honest. Gaming is not very CPU oriented in most games really, gaming is a much more GPU focussed affair. Any decent Quad Core is going to do great once paired with a strong graphics card. And even a dual core is unlikely to be too stressed.

Dual cores are a waste of time. As time starts to go on their life span is going to be less and less. Anyone buying or building a new rig should be looking at a quad for sure.

Take BFBC2 for example E8500 at 3.6 it averages 90% load spiking to a 100% a lot and in game you can tell under heavy conditions.

I7's are at the top of the pile no doubt about it but a lowerend quad would be a lot better then a Dual at this point and its only going to happen more and more as new games come out. If you don't game much then its not really that important who needs a quad to surf the net :lol:

Yeah , a good ol quad will run any game well . So far theres only 1 game engine that uses all 6 cores . Seems it depends on how much you want to spend.

black edition chips are for the lazy, not to mention for the price hike to get a 1090T I'd rather have an i7 that'll smash it with only 4 cores (for cheaper)

I always saw the black edition chips being better made thus are easier to overclock. Yes they cost like $10 more than regular chips but that $10 is worth it when you're trying to get the most out of your system.

I say easier is better. Less chance of something going wrong and frying.

Neither, IMO they are both silly as a CPU for a gaming system. My C2D E8500 system (below in my sig) pretty much gives me 60FPS at 1920x1200 and 4xAA on all my games. I built the AMD system just for fun. Managed to get a stable 4GHZ out of it just today in my first go at overclocking an AMD system. Plan to put a couple of 5770's or Whatever the equivalent 6000 series GPU is to complete it.

:withstupid::cheers: :cheers:

I always saw the black edition chips being better made thus are easier to overclock. Yes they cost like $10 more than regular chips but that $10 is worth it when you're trying to get the most out of your system.

I say easier is better. Less chance of something going wrong and frying.

They're the same chip with a higher stock unlocked multiplier. If you have a good motherboard than you can just overclock one the old fashioned way.

here I see the difference of $61 between black edition and standard... http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000343&IsNodeId=1&Description=x6%20phenom&name=Processors%20-%20Desktops

i7 860 would probably be a sweet spot. Pretty much gives i7 9x0 performance but it's generally cheaper due to its socket and OCs VERY well. Also has HT for those media guys

Alternatively the i5 750 is also a great choice. A bit more expensive than the typical AMD PII build but a bit better all the same.