Juliobmc

What's the best processor for gaming??

What's the best processor for gaming?

Intel Core i7 980X Extreme or AMD Phenon II X6????

or other......????????

The i7 980X is extreme ok, extreme overkill for a gaming system..............

Given the two options you presented above (and based on the fact you said "gaming" in your question) I don't think there is any question that the X6 is the winner when you compare price to performance.

If you're not set on a 6-core then any run of the mill i7 930 - i7 950 would work just fine.

The i7 980X is extreme ok, extreme overkill for a gaming system..............

Given the two options you presented above (and based on the fact you said "gaming" in your question) I don't think there is any question that the X6 is the winner when you compare price to performance.

If you're not set on a 6-core then any run of the mill i7 930 - i7 950 would work just fine.

:withstupid:

I can take that a step further and say that a simple Phenom II X4 would serve you just fine clocked up.

I don't know if any games are even coded to make use of more than 4 threads, most are still 2 threads. (in other words buying a 6core for gaming isn't the best investment, though 4cores are SLOWLY getting more utilized)

I can take that a step further and say that a simple Phenom II X4 would serve you just fine clocked up.

I don't know if any games are even coded to make use of more than 4 threads, most are still 2 threads. (in other words buying a 6core for gaming isn't the best investment, though 4cores are SLOWLY getting more utilized)

I can take that a step further and say that a simpler Phenom II x3 would serve you fine just clocked up. :bah:

I can take that a step furhter and say that a simpler Phenom II x3 would serve you fine just clocked up. :bah:

Don't make me recommend him a 65nm revised Pentium 4 single core overclocked to 12.0ghz :woot:

or other......????????

Neither, IMO they are both silly as a CPU for a gaming system. My C2D E8500 system (below in my sig) pretty much gives me 60FPS at 1920x1200 and 4xAA on all my games. I built the AMD system just for fun. Managed to get a stable 4GHZ out of it just today in my first go at overclocking an AMD system. Plan to put a couple of 5770's or Whatever the equivalent 6000 series GPU is to complete it.

Don't make me recommend him a 65nm revised Pentium 4 single core overclocked to 12.0ghz woot.gif

stupid.gif Dah why not a Commodore 64?

The Frostbite engine actually has the capability to use more than 4 threads. That's the only one I can think of...

or other......????????

the 980x is at the top of the cpu game at the moment but it does just not even come close to justify the performance to the money. if you have a unlimited budget go for it but a 930 or 950 should do the job just as good for a lot less money.