The story of a failed attempt at overclocking

diztrukted

The story of a failed attempt at overclocking

There once was a boy, anxious to overclock his very first computer build. He would regularly peruse the interwebz and research such an ambitious project.

One day, he visited one particular [f]orum and was hoping that they'd be able to help.

he was pointed to this

which he followed step by step.

unfortunately, this didn't work for the boy and his cpu prompted him to shut down and that it was too hot to continue. Panicking, the boy decided to continue on his journey to 4GHz by continuing to ask fellow journeymen where the road to 4GHz was and how to be led to it. To each journeymen he described to them, something of a map which entailed certain specifications which, when deciphered and configured properly would lead to this wonderful place.

The Map

\\ THERMALTAKE ELEMENT T | CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX | ASUS P6X58D
\\ INTEL CORE i7 930 2.8 GHz | CPU HEATSINK COOLER MASTER RR-UV8-XBU1-GP
\\ RAM CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) | SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 5850
\\ SAMSUNG SH-S223F | WD CAVIAR INTERNAL l HDD | SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 HD103SJ 1TB | INTEL X25-M MAINSTREAM SSD
\\ WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 BIT | ASUS VW246H | RAZER MAMBA MOUSE

Along the way, he was recommended tools that would be of great use to him.

Some Tools

1416774.png

http://revision3.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1465&d=1286056496

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/mxhmn/

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1416774

To this, since the boy started his journey (yesterday) it is said that he is still searching for this road to 4GHz and that the day he reaches it, he'll be at peace.

Edited by diztrukted

I'm not sure that COOLER MASTER RR-UV8-XBU1-GP might be able to handle 4.0GHz.

Best thread to read for your motherboard:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/662236-asus-p6x58d-premium-e-thread.html

Tools you need:

1. Download Prime95 (64-bit) for stress testing

2. Download RealTemp for monitoring your core temps

Instructions:

1. Set your overclock to 3.8GHz first to see how your core temps are doing. Follow the Running 3.80GHz w/ HyperThreading (Stable) settings. Be sure to replace the values for your i7 930 in the: !!! UPDATE !!! - Users running Intel i7 930 Chips

When you're in Windows, keep RealTemp open and Run Prime95 at default settings (Blend tests). Monitor your core temps. If they start to exceed 80C, stop the tests. You won't get to 4.0GHz with that heatsink.

2. If your core temps don't exceed 80C, keep the Prime95 test running until a full round has passed. It usually takes around 15 minutes. If it passes, then start to lower your CPU voltage just to see how stable your overclock can go. If you crash, then up your CPU voltage until it passes. Keep in mind, the higher your CPU voltage and CPU speed, the higher your core temps.

Note: Your BIOS has a save profile option. Save your profiles, in case you lose your settings, you can just load your saved profile rather than changing your settings all over again.

3. Once you're stable, report back with screenshots and temp readings with your CPU voltage to discuss.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/662236-asus-p6x58d-premium-e-thread.html

Tools you need:

Instructions:

1. Set your overclock to 3.8GHz first to see how your core temps are doing. Follow the Running 3.80GHz w/ HyperThreading (Stable) settings. Be sure to replace the values for your i7 930 in the: !!! UPDATE !!! - Users running Intel i7 930 Chips

When you're in Windows, keep RealTemp open and Run Prime95 at default settings (Blend tests). Monitor your core temps. If they start to exceed 80C, stop the tests. You won't get to 4.0GHz with that heatsink.

2. If your core temps don't exceed 80C, keep the Prime95 test running until a full round has passed. It usually takes around 15 minutes. If it passes, then start to lower your CPU voltage just to see how stable your overclock can go. If you crash, then up your CPU voltage until it passes. Keep in mind, the higher your CPU voltage and CPU speed, the higher your core temps.

Note: Your BIOS has a save profile option. Save your profiles, in case you lose your settings, you can just load your saved profile rather than changing your settings all over again.

3. Once you're stable, report back with screenshots and temp readings with your CPU voltage to discuss.

oh that's great, will do this the minute I get home.

Tools you need:

Instructions:

so this didn't work for me.

I booted it up, logged into the windows screen and was greeted by the BSOD

restarted and got it again, this time I didn't make it to the log in screen

tried and again, with changed settings so that I'd be at 3.6GHz ...got an error message that said overclock failed, followed by a BSOD

Nice job Captain! :cheers:

I'm sure you guys will reach your goal!

Tools you need:

Instructions:

tried to post three times on here, computer just crapped out on me.

i do have this though

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1438715

it was cooler at lower voltages but that didn't seem to last too long before it would shut down on me, I'll upload temps in a second.

I don't know if you guys can see this but here

temps-1.png

so far so good though, computer hasn't shut down yet.

Just did a windows experience index (not that its a good way to gauge things)but disk data transfer went down quite a bit, now at 5.9 from 7.7

Right now the cpu voltage is at 1.2250 (something like that, I may be off)

Edited by diztrukted

tried to post three times on here, computer just crapped out on me.

i do have this though

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1438715

it was cooler at lower voltages but that didn't seem to last too long before it would shut down on me, I'll upload temps in a second.

I don't know if you guys can see this but here http://revision3.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1475&d=1287458460

so far so good though, computer hasn't shut down yet.

Just did a windows experience index (not that its a good way to gauge things)but disk data transfer went down quite a bit, now at 5.9 from 7.7

Right now the cpu voltage is at 1.2250 (something like that, I may be off)

I can't see the temps from that link. Once I see the temps, we can go from there. WEI always scores the first SSD run at a limited 5.9 after a crash and changed BIOS settings. Run it again and you'll see it go back to 7.7.

I can't see the temps from that link. Once I see the temps, we can go from there. WEI always scores the first SSD run at a limited 5.9 after a crash and changed BIOS settings. Run it again and you'll see it go back to 7.7.

so here are my temps

temps-1.png

I've been told that I need to reseat my heatsink and re apply thermal paste. Sad thing is, I did this twice before overclocking. I used Arctic Silver 5 and I thought I did a good job tbh. I followed this video How do you Apply Arctic Silver 5

Also, how do you save BIOS setting profiles?