480SLI + i7 920 cooling

pointman

Hi everyone

Great forum.

I'm a rookie on watercooling but I did my reading on the net (as much as I could) and decided to go down this path. So far I'm watercooling the CPU (stock clocks) and 1 480GTX. Amazing results compared to air flow.

Idle GPU temp: 38C

Max GPU (furmark) 67C (2 hours running)

Idle CPU temp: 41C

Max CPU (PrimeTest) 60C (2 hours running - all 8 threads)

My question is this. I have already a 2nd GTX 480 that I plan to include in the loop. My Rad is an EK XT 240 (2 120 Fans).

Do you think that, even if running the CPU at stock clocks, will this Rad hold a 2nd GTX 480 at Max load? if not will the EK-360 (3 f120 Fans) be enough? I'm affraid I can't go for the EK-480 (3 120 Fans) as my case is a Mid Tower and I will go out of budget going for a new Full tower case

How much help would it be (drop temps even further) to use 75CFM fans vs quieter 60CFM fans, lets suppose that noise is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for all your help/opinions

Hi everyone

Great forum.

I'm a rookie on watercooling but I did my reading on the net (as much as I could) and decided to go down this path. So far I'm watercooling the CPU (stock clocks) and 1 480GTX. Amazing results compared to air flow.

My question is this. I have already a 2nd GTX 480 that I plan to include in the loop. My Rad is an EK XT 240 (2 120 Fans).

Do you think that, even if running the CPU at stock clocks, will this Rad hold a 2nd GTX 480 at Max load? if not will the EK-360 (3 f120 Fans) be enough? I'm affraid I can't go for the EK-480 (3 120 Fans) as my case is a Mid Tower and I will go out of budget going for a new Full tower case

How much help would it be (drop temps even further) to use 75CFM fans vs quieter 60CFM fans, lets suppose that noise is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for all your help/opinions

What's your PSU? You might be limited by that more than your cooling.

If you're going at stock clocks, adding a 2nd GTX 480 with a 120.2 won't be an issue as far as heat goes.

What's your PSU? You might be limited by that more than your cooling.

If you're going at stock clocks, adding a 2nd GTX 480 with a 120.2 won't be an issue as far as heat goes.

The PSU is a Corsair HX1000

Thanks

I would probably get another 240 rad, maybe a even 360. A 240 rad with that setup isnt going to cut it.

I disagree.

If this is his current temps:

His (my theory, anyway) expected temps for his 2nd GTX 480 would be (if directly connected after his 1st GTX 480):

Idle GPU temp: 38C - 39C

Max GPU (furmark) 72C (2 hours running)

The only problem would be if his radiator couldn't dissipate 72C fast enough through the loop. His CPU and 1st GTX 480 temps during load might go up 1C - 2C. The max temp on a GTX 480 is 105C, so he's in the safe zone.

The Coolermaster 690 case has space UNDER the top grill that lets you install a 240 rad under the top meat plate and 2 120 fans over the metal plate. This whole thing is covered with the plastic cover of the case that has a grill. It all looks nice and tidy BUT it doesn't allow you to install Rad holder to install a bigger Rad, unless of course I mod the case (cut grill, plastic etc). If the 240 won't do I've thought as worst case scenario to install an additional 360 Rad at the back of the case.

If I understand correct you mean to install the extra Rad in serial, that is outlet of Rad 360 will go to inlet for 240?

P.S. The PrimeTest and furmark were tested independently and got the mentioned temps. I did a small test (1hr) with both progs running at the same time and I have the following max temps

GPU: 74C

CPU: 80C (the highest number for the 4 cores. The other 3 numbers were close by)

Edited by pointman

P.S. The PrimeTest and furmark were tested independently and got the mentioned temps. I did a small test (1hr) with both progs running at the same time and I have the following max temps

CPU: 80C (the highest number for the 4 cores. The other 3 numbers were close by)

You'll be well into the danger zone if you add another GPU to that loop...that's pushing it as it is (especially at stock clocks). I can't imagine your pump likes your water that hot.

If that's the case, then yes, you're going to need better cooling. Others have mentioned good ideas to improve.

To keep it all in the case I would add another 240 rad while also paying attention to the airflow in and out of your chassis to maximize your cooling. I am not sure what fans you have already but you may need to step up to High CFM fans if the current radiator you have does best with that style of fan.