Sign in to follow this  
zackhaf

New to Folding

Hey, Im pretty new to this folding stuff, but it sounds like a good way to use my computer when Im not on it personally.

I just have a few basic questions on the basics.

Right now, i have the [email protected] program running, and it only shows about 25 to 30% CPU useage, no matter what. Is there a way to get it to use more of the CPU, and therefore go faster? Also, I have seen people using their GPUs to fold also, but Im not sure how to do that either, nor am i sure if it would even be worth it.

My system specs are:

AMD Phenom 9150e

4GB ddr2 RAM

XFX Radeon 5670

(Mobo is whatever comes with an HP a6700y, thats what this started as, only changed a few things so far)

and i dont think anything else matters.

Thanks for the help

I'm no folding expert and having problems myself at the moment but I think you need to use the - smp flag when folding on more than one CPU core but you'll need to do a little research to find out.

I've never folded on ATI graphics cards because nvidia based cards are far more productive but I'm sure your 5670 could make a valuable contribution and would definately be worth it because every little helps.

If you send me your folding name I can make you a config file for your CPU to hopefully run full speed

If you send me your folding name I can make you a config file for your CPU to hopefully run full speed

its the same as my occ name, zackhaf

its the same as my occ name, zackhaf

Here's a .rar file of 5 folders, 4 for each cpu core and a 5th for the GPU.

Just run each of the .exe's in each folder and you'll be ok! (though I'd only run 3 of the CPU one's when you're folding with your GPU)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6F7NA13C

Let me know if you get it workin ok! :thumbsup:

Russian roulette...which .exe that IVI sent you is the VIRUS? mwhahaaaaa :evilgrin:

JK

Here's a .rar file of 5 folders, 4 for each cpu core and a 5th for the GPU.

Just run each of the .exe's in each folder and you'll be ok! (though I'd only run 3 of the CPU one's when you're folding with your GPU)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6F7NA13C

Let me know if you get it workin ok! :thumbsup:

which .exe file do i need to run?

I opened the folder 1 and see a 1.exe and a FahCore_b4.exe

also, i assume i need to do this before starting the folding at home? or will this replace that entirely?

thanks again

which .exe file do i need to run?

I opened the folder 1 and see a 1.exe and a FahCore_b4.exe

also, i assume i need to do this before starting the folding at home? or will this replace that entirely?

thanks again

oh I'm sorry it breaks down like this

processor core 1: open 1.exe (folder 1)

processor core 2: open 2.exe (folder 2)

processor core 3: open 3.exe (folder 3)

processor core 4: open 4.exe (folder 4)

processor GPU: GPU.exe (folder GPU)

when folding with the GPU you'll want 1.exe, 2.exe, 3.exe, and GPU.exe open (4 console windows)

when folding with just the CPU you'll want 1.exe, 2.exe, 3.exe, and 4.exe open (4 console windows)

oh I'm sorry it breaks down like this

processor core 1: open 1.exe (folder 1)

processor core 2: open 2.exe (folder 2)

processor core 3: open 3.exe (folder 3)

processor core 4: open 4.exe (folder 4)

processor GPU: GPU.exe (folder GPU)

when folding with the GPU you'll want 1.exe, 2.exe, 3.exe, and GPU.exe open (4 console windows)

when folding with just the CPU you'll want 1.exe, 2.exe, 3.exe, and 4.exe open (4 console windows)

it all opens well, and my CPU meter shows its working well. One more question, how does this connect to the folding at home and all that to get the work done? do i just open these files, and thats all i have to do?

it all opens well, and my CPU meter shows its working well. One more question, how does this connect to the folding at home and all that to get the work done? do i just open these files, and thats all i have to do?

Yep, as long as you have a stable internet connection it will automatically upload the workunits when it's done then start the next one

So does that mean that folding with the SMP client i am only using 2 cores, because in the folder it only has FaH Core_b4 and FaH Core_78? In the configuration options its set at priority: low, Core percent: 100.

Thanks

So does that mean that folding with the SMP client i am only using 2 cores, because in the folder it only has FaH Core_b4 and FaH Core_78? In the configuration options its set at priority: low, Core percent: 100.

Thanks

open up taskmgr and see if all 4-8 cores are running 100%