Gaining access to locked files on laptop HDD

paulktreg

I have installed my daughters laptop HDD into my PC so I can back up the documents folder before returning it to HP for repair. I am unable to gain access to the documents folder because it's locked. How do I unlock it to gain access and then restore it back its original state?

Laptop and PC running Windows 7.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I've had that issue before when working with downed computer's harddrive's (most importantly the user and windows folders)

what you want to do is goto the drive in your my computer and right click on it then go down to properties.

Once that window's open, goto security, and then find the button called Edit next to "To change permissions, click Edit."

In there you'll want to enable Full control for all the users listed there (On mine there's four different groups), then click ok.

It should start going crazy with enabling access to all the files on the drive. Either before or after you leave the properties screen I forget.

That should do the trick ;)

I get a box, Permissions for Local Disk

Select Users or Groups and it whats me to "Enter the object names to select:" What's this mean?

I don't want to do anythting to the laptop HDD that will affect its operation when I put it back into the laptop. It's a warranty repair and I don't what HP finding out I've removed the hard drive so I need to be careful!

You went too far, don't click on Add (which takes you to that screen you're at with the "Enter the object names to select:" what you want to change is under "Permissions for Authenticated Users"

Under the "Allow" column, click the Full Control Box and then click OK at the bottom (or apply then OK, but OK does both in one step)

Access to folder still denied!?

It didn't go crazy but said it was unable to change the permissions. Are there extra security features in Windows 7 because I remember this being easier in Windows XP?