Worth the upgrade

FalconFX4

Hi I am looking to upgrade my computer. Currently I use my computer for daily tasks web browsing and Gaming. i have priced out so many different setups comparing Amd to Intel etc and have finally come to something that fits the price/performance factor. I Am only upgrading the Motherboard, Ram Cpu and most likely a second video card, Unless better to wait for next Gen?

Current Setup

Processor: Intel Core 2 Qaud Q6600 2.4ghz

Motherboard: is locked, it is a stock acer board

Ram: Corsair XMS2 4gb DDR2 800MHZ

Video Card: Ati Radeon 5770 1gb

Power supply Coolermaster 750w

I will mosty likely crossfire the 5770, if i were to get the new setup. Which is..

Processor/Motherboard: http://ncix.com/prod...41&promoid=1207 I5 760 2.8ghz

Ram: http://ncix.com/prod...x.php?sku=42530 4gb DDR3 1600

Second Video Card: http://ncix.com/prod...32&promoid=1207 ati 5770 1gb

The Total cost for the new setup above 572$ Canadian, Ncix currently has this stuff on sale, and Mobo Cpu in a bundle deal. I have researched and know there would be a big improvement and i would not longer be limited by the locked motherboard, But would the new setups cost be justified?, id love to go the I7 route but am on a budget and unsure if it could be managed. Any opinions on whether this is a good choice and any other recommendations would be great. Thanks

The big reason I'm holding out on upgrading is that once the new year starts so much more cool stuff comes out like Intel's SandyBridge architecture and AMD's Fusion chips. Wait and hold on to what you have (I'm worse off then you are when it comes to the CPU and I'm waiting).

The big reason I'm holding out on upgrading is that once the new year starts so much more cool stuff comes out like Intel's SandyBridge architecture and AMD's Fusion chips. Wait and hold on to what you have (I'm worse off then you are when it comes to the CPU and I'm waiting).

Ya that has also been a reason for my hesitance on upgrading to, Though they will be cool and hopefully hold a good performance increase over there previous gen parts, it will come with a higher price, Though that being said this Gens higher end parts prices should drop a bit?. Whats your performance like with the 3.0ghz 9950, hows it perform gaming wise with the 5770, better than a q6600 or about par considering their from almost same release time periods.

Ya that has also been a reason for my hesitance on upgrading to, Though they will be cool and hopefully hold a good performance increase over there previous gen parts, it will come with a higher price, Though that being said this Gens higher end parts prices should drop a bit?. Whats your performance like with the 3.0ghz 9950, hows it perform gaming wise with the 5770, better than a q6600 or about par considering their from almost same release time periods.

I think at this point in time they perform similar enough to each other that the difference should only be a FPS or two. Intel's architecture has almost always been better then AMD's so their CPUs work smarter then AMD's have (the Core iX series attests to that). I have no issues with my 5770 besides the fact that the price went down $50 over the span of a year (actually not bad considering). I game at 1680x1050 where most games are limited by the GPU not the CPU so I stand by my recommendation of waiting.

I think at this point in time they perform similar enough to each other that the difference should only be a FPS or two. Intel's architecture has almost always been better then AMD's so their CPUs work smarter then AMD's have (the Core iX series attests to that). I have no issues with my 5770 besides the fact that the price went down $50 over the span of a year (actually not bad considering). I game at 1680x1050 where most games are limited by the GPU not the CPU so I stand by my recommendation of waiting.

Ya Definitely right about intels architecture, Amd may beat them clock for clock but a slower clocked comparable Core iX series usually still comes out on top against Amd's product. Yeah the 5770 is a good card i have it running pretty much every game max at 1680x1050 but figured id see if the performance is any diff with your 3.0 clocked cpu. I will most likely end up waiting and getting Intel's next gen unless Amd has a better offer by that time, getting opinions was the main intent.

Hi I am looking to upgrade my computer. Currently I use my computer for daily tasks web browsing and Gaming. i have priced out so many different setups comparing Amd to Intel etc and have finally come to something that fits the price/performance factor. I Am only upgrading the Motherboard, Ram Cpu and most likely a second video card, Unless better to wait for next Gen?

Current Setup

Processor: Intel Core 2 Qaud Q6600 2.4ghz

Motherboard: is locked, it is a stock acer board

Ram: Corsair XMS2 4gb DDR2 800MHZ

Video Card: Ati Radeon 5770 1gb

Power supply Coolermaster 750w

I will mosty likely crossfire the 5770, if i were to get the new setup. Which is..

Processor/Motherboard: http://ncix.com/prod...41&promoid=1207 I5 760 2.8ghz

Ram: http://ncix.com/prod...x.php?sku=42530 4gb DDR3 1600

Second Video Card: http://ncix.com/prod...32&promoid=1207 ati 5770 1gb

The Total cost for the new setup above 572$ Canadian, Ncix currently has this stuff on sale, and Mobo Cpu in a bundle deal. I have researched and know there would be a big improvement and i would not longer be limited by the locked motherboard, But would the new setups cost be justified?, id love to go the I7 route but am on a budget and unsure if it could be managed. Any opinions on whether this is a good choice and any other recommendations would be great. Thanks

If you're mostly gaming and web browsing, and especially thinking of crossfiring 5770's, then AMD is the way to go. AM3 motherboard you can find on sale or used for $45 - $60 USD. A decent new one will be around $60 - $100 USD. A triple or quad core can be anywhere from $50 used to $200, but you can find good ones to overclock with in the $90 - $100 USD range. 2x2GB DDR3 RAM you can get for $70 USD or less. Cheapest set-up through deals, you can upgrade for $160 USD. That gives you room to buy a decent after-market cooler for $30+ USD, and another 5770 1GB to crossfire. It'll be way lower than 572$ CAN.

If you're mostly gaming and web browsing, and especially thinking of crossfiring 5770's, then AMD is the way to go. AM3 motherboard you can find on sale or used for $45 - $60 USD. A decent new one will be around $60 - $100 USD. A triple or quad core can be anywhere from $50 used to $200, but you can find good ones to overclock with in the $90 - $100 USD range. 2x2GB DDR3 RAM you can get for $70 USD or less. Cheapest set-up through deals, you can upgrade for $160 USD. That gives you room to buy a decent after-market cooler for $30+ USD, and another 5770 1GB to crossfire. It'll be way lower than 572$ CAN.

Yeah living where i am to get an Amd set up is only about 100$ cheaper before tax so i figured going the intel route, though not there best chip would be worth it for the extra performance. if i could find an upgrade that cheap id do it just to hold me over till the new Chips come out.