Can i put Core2Quad on this board without bottleneck?

Hi all

i have bad rig so i am on tight budget so can i do this?

i have

Core2Due E7300 2.66GHz 3MB

GA-P31-ES3G

3GB

xfx 9500GT 1gb

350W

and my upgrade is to put core2quad on this board GA-P31-ES3G and get 5850 and 500w psu ,so my question is can i put core2quad on this board ? and try overclock it also?

it says it can but will it bottleneck the processor ?

First off, Welcome to OCC!!!

If the quad is clocked high enough, it shouldn't bottleneck, I would think.

Though, I would grab a quality 650w psu, over a 500w if you plan on OCing. (as the minimum required for a 5850 is a 500w)

If that's out of your budget you could grab a 5770, instead, and still get a big performance increase over that 9500gt, and you also wouldn't have to worry about bottlenecking!

Also, what Quad do you plan on grabbing? I noticed your mobo is an older P31 chipset, and it may not be compatible with the newer 45nm quads. Check to see if your BIOS is compatible, or if there's a newer BIOS that is, if your going for a 45nm quad.

No, the Q6xxx series is 65nm, while the Q8xxx and Q9xxx are 45nm. Mobo manufacturer's have to release BIOS updates to add support for the newer manufacturing process.

But you're in luck, I found this while browsing Gigabyte's website for you. With the latest BIOS, looks like you can use all but the QX9770.

well i did thought about it but i searched the internet and i found that an OCed c2q is more powerful than OCed c2d

also i have 1366*786 monitor and with low resolution the stress on CPU > GPU

At those resolutions, you won't be bottle-necked to notice any issues.

well i did thought about it but i searched the internet and i found that an OCed c2q is more powerful than OCed c2d

also i have 1366*786 monitor and with low resolution the stress on CPU > GPU

For what kind of use? If gaming the highly clocked duo will do quite competitively with a quad of the same architecture

gaming of course

anyway someone told me that

Core 2 Quad will work on this mobo as good as on high end one. And you'll be able to moderately (maybe better, depends on luck) OC it. Just don't forget to buy an aftermarket cooler.

Only difference with high end mobos is in quality, overclocking capabilities and features. Not in faster speed CPU speed.

is this true?

Edited by macronia