Need advice howto change bios settings

Hi,

I just bought a new computer and the memory modules run on 1066 Mhz. standard.

I wanted to change the bios settings in order to utilize the maximum speed of the modules to 2333. There are 2 profiles i can choose in the bios, one of which was to 2336 Mhz. This didnt work and my computer had to be reset (battery for CMOS).

Could anyone help me with tips howto finetune my bios in order to utilize the maximum speed my hardware can handle?

specs:

- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 - Moederbord - ATX - iX58 - LGA1366 Socket - UDMA133, SATA-300 (RAID), SATA-600 (RAID), eSATA

- KHX2333C9D3T1K3/3GX, 3GB 2333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (Kit of 3x1GB) XMP T1 Series

- CoolerMaster Silent Pro M600, 600Watt, ATX

- Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz 4.8GT/s 8MB Box

- Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2, 775/i7,A

- Sapphire Videokaart PCI-e Radeon HD5850 Toxic 2GB HDMI/DP

please let me know if i need to post more info...

hope someone can help me,

regards, Nan

It is going to take a high bus speed, high QPI voltage, a large ram multiplier and probably 1.65-1.75 volts on your memory.

The best way is going to be get it to post at 1800 mhz with a bus speed of 180MHz and a Ram multiplier of 10. Work your way up from there. Keep the rams voltage at 1.65 for now for simplicity sake.

Adjust the core multiplier down lower than it normally is so if you hit a wall you know it's your possessor and not your RAM. There will probably be what seems like a wall at 1900MHz or above, I would suggest you keep your case open for this part as you might do a lot of reseting. Your memory controller is going to be close to its limits, you might need to start bumping up the QPI voltage into the mid pink warning zone in your bios, 2333 RAM is mostly for really extreme systems. This scary pink warning of doom isn't so bad if you have an after market cooler.

Give it a shot on your own, It is pretty hard to break current Motherboards with overclocking, voltage and heat kill over time, rarely right away. Check back once you have tested a bit, we will make sure everything is in check.

Why would you buy memory that "fast"?? and only 3GB...

I bought 6 Gb. 2 times 3 modules of 1 Gb. And my reason where they where faster than the 2 Gb. modules I could lay my hands on.. :)

It is going to take a high bus speed, high QPI voltage, a large ram multiplier and probably 1.65-1.75 volts on your memory.

The best way is going to be get it to post at 1800 mhz with a bus speed of 180MHz and a Ram multiplier of 10. Work your way up from there. Keep the rams voltage at 1.65 for now for simplicity sake.

Adjust the core multiplier down lower than it normally is so if you hit a wall you know it's your possessor and not your RAM. There will probably be what seems like a wall at 1900MHz or above, I would suggest you keep your case open for this part as you might do a lot of reseting. Your memory controller is going to be close to its limits, you might need to start bumping up the QPI voltage into the mid pink warning zone in your bios, 2333 RAM is mostly for really extreme systems. This scary pink warning of doom isn't so bad if you have an after market cooler.

Give it a shot on your own, It is pretty hard to break current Motherboards with overclocking, voltage and heat kill over time, rarely right away. Check back once you have tested a bit, we will make sure everything is in check.

Thanks gabrieltessin for your advice.. I'm busy testing what works best... will let you know when I tried all of them... :)

I bought 6 Gb. 2 times 3 modules of 1 Gb. And my reason where they where faster than the 2 Gb. modules I could lay my hands on.. :)

You should have gone for some decent 1600mhz sticks in 6x2GB form. The added RAM would be a far more worth while investment. Heck you could have gotten a 3x2GB kit and never known the difference, your memory controller will be less overworked with only three sticks too!

The added memory speed will not be seen in real life situations unless you're doing super extreme overclocking and need the headroom....you are running dry ice right?? :P

As already pointed out........ QPI/VTT is key

All non-extreme versions of the Intel i7 will require a lot of tweaking to get above 2100 Mhz

Anyways - here are some suggestions as a starting point

Make sure you have the latest motherboard BIOS revision..............

X.M.P. Profile = Enabled

Change voltages to the following values

QPI/VTT = 1.60v (disregard the fact that it's red) just set it and forget it

PCIE = 1.60v

QPI PLL = 1.20v

IOH Core = 1.20v

ICH I/O = 1.60v

ICH Core = 1.20v

DRAM Voltage = 1.66v

Performance Enhance - change from Turbo to Standard

Edited by wevsspot

As already pointed out........ QPI/VTT is key

All non-extreme versions of the Intel i7 will require a lot of tweaking to get above 2100 Mhz

Anyways - here are some suggestions as a starting point

Make sure you have the latest motherboard BIOS revision..............

X.M.P. Profile = Enabled

Change voltages to the following values

QPI/VTT = 1.60v (disregard the fact that it's red) just set it and forget it

PCIE = 1.60v

QPI PLL = 1.20v

IOH Core = 1.20v

ICH I/O = 1.60v

ICH Core = 1.20v

DRAM Voltage = 1.66v

Performance Enhance - change from Turbo to Standard

What he said, you can try to lower these voltages to keep it stable, right now what is important is getting it there.

& do NOT use XMP profile in your bios, it wont work!

You will either get a no post, or it will crash if you have it set that way in the bios.

Also don't go over 1.65v with your memory voltage.

Set your memory setting manually! Your board will only go up to 2200MHz, use the memory's specs for setting the timings and voltages.

Also it should not take high QPI voltage to hit 2000MHz

The last thing you want to do is overvolt things, before you know what your board can do on minimal settings!

Alin,

Your sig indicates that you're running DDR3 2000 memory - so I'd like to know what your QPI/DRAM voltage is set to. Because I know from experience that very few non-xtreme edition Intel i7 processors will run DDR3 2000 speed without a significant bump in the QPI/DRAM - QPI/VTT settings (depending on what your particular motherboard BIOS calls it).

You're running a 980X processor and the on-die memory controllers on the xtreme version processors is a lot better than those on the non-xtreme processors.

Regarding X.M.P. profiles - they are boogered in the Asus BIOS, not so much so on the Gigabyte BIOS - so there isn't any harm in trying. The worst that will happen is it won't boot and he'll have to reset his CMOS.

Lastly - his board only "officially" supports DDR3 2200 - that doesn't necessarily mean it won't run DDR3 2333 memory.

Hey wevsspot, here ya go,

Your sig indicates that you're running DDR3 2000 memory - so I'd like to know what your QPI/DRAM voltage is set to.

Mine is set to 1.22v & yep, it's called the same thing.

It's just that I went from a i7 960 (45nm), to my current cpu, and still didn't need much in the QPI voltage.

Now this is just my opinion, but I think Nan is being given advice that will take him to quickly to a high, or even dangerous voltage situation, and would hate to see him blow something on this advice, plus the fact that his memory's speed isn't compatible with his MB. Which is why the XMP profile will either cause the motherboard to not post, or blue screen on him.

In my opinion he needs to keep his memory in check, and get his cpu to where he wants it, (keeping it in a safe temp zone),

then work on his memory speed, using his boards dividers, and setting his memory to it's rated timings, and NO more than 1.65v.

While also keeping in mind that his board will only allow memory up to 2200MHz.

So long story short, I was just wanting Nan, to take smaller steps, and know that he'll see a performance gain out of CPU overclocking, rather than the difference between the speed of 2000MHz memory, and 2333MHz memory. Which would not be noticeable.

I'm more about learning and taking smaller steps, than instructing someone to do something, with no regard. Like telling him to push 1.75v through his memory. Not a good idea if you ask me!

For his memory issues, the best advice I can give is to set the memory timings & voltage, manually.

To the specs of the memory, which should be printed on the memory modules themselves.

Plus not to exceed the memory speed of 2200MHz!

But increasing his memory speed, should be second to getting his cpu clocked to where he wants it.

Sorry if I carried on so long...LOL

Regards AI

Edited by AIinc