So what's being a History Major like?

WhenKittensATK

I've been wondering about changing my major. I've always been interested in history. It was even my first choice, but I was loomed with the question what can I do with a history major.

How hard would you think it be to land a history professor job at a 2 year or 4 year college?

I've been wondering about changing my major. I've always been interested in history. It was even my first choice, but I was loomed with the question what can I do with a history major.

How hard would you think it be to land a history professor job at a 2 year or 4 year college?

A friend of mine from highschool was a history major. After finishing his history degree, he works in a phone book factory.

I wish I was joking, but I'm not :(

There are really only two career paths history majors take - history teacher/professor or law.

To become a professor at a 4-yr college, you'd probably have to get a Masters and/or PhD. 2-yr colleges may be more lax.

As a history major, I kind of have to disagree that teaching and law are the only two options.

Yes, you can be a teacher and its what most history majors end up doing, but there are also the options of being a museum curator, historian for the government (military, park services, historical sites), State Department. Plus you can specialize and branch into Egyptology, mythology, archeology, and a whole assortment of others. Being a history major is much more than just teaching or going in to law.