Tiltentei06

ATI and Nvidia(physX)

I am currently using two xfx hd 5870. Im thinkign about getting the ZOTAC GeForce GTS 450 1GB AMP! for physX. Im getting 27k now for gpu in vantage performance, and 20500 gpu in High. How much better will my system perform with a 450 for physX? Is it worth it do you think.

I thought, and I could be wrong here, that ATI cards didn't support Physx so would the system not benefit from a dedicated Physx card if the game supports it?

I thought, and I could be wrong here, that ATI cards didn't support Physx so would the system not benefit from a dedicated Physx card if the game supports it?

Oh yes, there is an improvement in games that utilize PhysX, but you need to do a little patching to get it to work with a hybrid system (both ATi and nVidia). nVidia tries to keep people from using PhysX if one of there GPU's isn't running the display, but, unsurprisingly, there are workarounds.

Now, let's consider what the actual use of the card will be. First off, PhysX is not very intensive, so you don't need to buy a 450. I've got a 250, and even that is overkill. PhysX is just a rendering tool to make graphics look more real, but isn't needed for gameplay. It's not like an actually physics engine that influences how things interact in game, this is just eyecandy. There are not that many games that utilize PhysX, so it may not be completely worth it. However, nVidia GPU's are very good at folding (the clients have been better optimized for nVidia than ATi) so if you are willing to let the nVidia card fold, then that contribution may be worth it. Every game I know of with PhysX can also have it turned off, or has been optimized for the CPU, so a dedicated GPU won't make a difference in performance (unless you have got a weak CPU, but with two 5870's I'd hope you have a good one to complement them).

Here's what my opinion on this boils down to; a dedicated PhysX card is not worth it. That is a flat and general statement for all situations because PhysX is not utilized in such a way to make it worth a possibly $100+ investment. However, a hybrid GPU setup can be worth it. The best example I have is folding, as described earlier, but there are other applications that also utilize the GPU for accelerated operation (I think Adobe CS5 uses it) and again nVidia cards may agree with that program better than an ATi card.If you have the money, go ahead, but though I do not regret getting the GTS 250 (ranked 53 on the OCC folding team, and soon will be 52; ha ha Crazy_Nate) getting an SSD for the desktop would have been a better overall upgrade (Mirror's Edge does look nice though with PhysX).

Mine was a general statement and I wasn't aware of the problems or real world benefits.

Why not go one better and get a GTX 460 for PhysX because it's a great folding card! :lol: