Replacing Laptop Hard Drive, help

combssm

I've got my eyes set on a new hard drive for my laptop.

This is what I have now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148184

The model is "de-activated." But I posted the link there so you can see the basic info.

Brand: Seagate

Series: Momentus 5400.3

Model: ST9160821AS

Interface: SATA 1.5Gb/s

Capacity: 160GB

Cache: 8MB

RPM: 5400 RPM

Now, I want to stick with the Seagate brand. This is for a laptop so it needs to to be quiet. I would like to upgrade twice the space, so 320GB. If possible I would like to upgrade the speed to 7200rpm. I would like 16MB cache size too, sticking with the doubling method. Also go ahead and double SATA 1.5GB/s to SATA 3GB/s. Thanks.

Are you after advice on which one to buy?

Your laptop will probably only support SATA 1.5Gb/s hard drives so there is little point in buying a SATA 3.0GB/s unless you are planning to use it elsewhere in the future.

Your laptop will probably only support SATA 1.5Gb/s hard drives so there is little point in buying a SATA 3.0GB/s unless you are planning to use it elsewhere in the future.

Probably won't support SATA 3.0GB/s? I read somewhere SATA is forward and backwards compatible.

Probably won't support SATA 3.0GB/s? I read somewhere SATA is forward and backwards compatible.

I don't think your laptop will support SATA 300 but check? They are backward compatible so a SATA 300 hard drive will work OK. I was just thinking why spend the extra on SATA 300 when SATA 150 will do but the SATA 150's are a rare beast by the looks of it! :lol:

This ones not a bad price!

I'd be interested to find out if they are backwards compatible. I can't imagine how many people this has affected. My laptop is...2 years old. I really need some more space. It is a Sony laptop.

There will be a jumper on the HDD to force it to run in SATA 150 mode. Info here under support > installation.

I don't think your laptop will support SATA 300 but check? They are backward compatible so a SATA 300 hard drive will work OK. I was just thinking why spend the extra on SATA 300 when SATA 150 will do but the SATA 150's are a rare beast by the looks of it! :lol:

This ones not a bad price!

I have this drive and it's awesome. I wish I coulda got it for $70 too!

You'll really like it though!