psu question

so il cut to the chase:

specs:

i5-760 @4 ghz 1.36v

asus P7P55D motherboard

4gb ddr3 1333mhz ram

sapphire 5770 1gb

recom 550 watt psu

when i fire my system up to the max (stress all parts for stability) my psu makes noise, kinda difficult to explain sounds like ratling? zooming? somewhere in that direction.

now my question is ... is it healhy? (dont think it healthy tho..) and can i fix this?

and if i need a new psu is sweex a good brand? (can get a 600w psu for 60 bucks)

thanks in advance :)

It could be a coil or capacitor vibrating, the switching frequency sneaking into the audible range, many things really but I'd replace the power supply to be on the safe side.

I've little or no experience of Recom or Sweex power supplies so I can't really comment on their quality but I doubt they are high end units? The Sweex is available for about £60.00 in the UK which may indicate it isn't that bad? I would much rather you used one from the mainstream/enthusiast power supply manufacturers like Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, Thermaltake, etc.

Where are you living and what is your budget?

so i cant ''blow up'' my system if i keep this psu? (when it is idle i dont hear the psu)

i live in holland and my budget is kinda 60/70 ish euro i can get a sweex 600watt psu for 60 euro and i was doubting for geting it.

if i can sell my old system for 150 euro then my budget is rising obviously and i have a clear choice for what psu i am gonna get (ocz 700watt pro xtreme or something like that, its modulair and nvidea sli is on it so i can use cross fire on it if i wanted to.) but i dont know how long i will take for selling my system and i want to know if it is safe to keep this psu for about a month or so.

thanks in advance ^^

i had an interesting read:

The second cause of high-pitched noises is the several copper coils within the PSU. Over time, these coils are heated and cooled as the PSU is switched on and off. After a while, the copper metal can become brittle and create squeezing to screeching noises as they heat up and then cool.

^^^- i hope this is the problem because the psu is quite old i think (took it over from another person) and that doesnt seem to be very drastic to replace my psu this instand.

i guess i can try the 600w swex psu to see if it can handle my rig :P

thanks for the help :)