First gaming build - i5 760

_Blackened

Hey there,

I'm looking to build a new rig in the next few weeks and finally upgrading from a pentium D... any advice on the following parts would be greatly appreciated :D

Please note that i'm in Australia so this will be in Australian dollars. I will be purchasing the parts from http://www.pccasegear.com.au/

My build will be used primarily for gaming and just everyday needs.

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 922

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3

Cpu: Intel Core i5 760

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM (2x2GB) DDR3

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular

Cpu Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ

Gpu: Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5850 Overclocked Edition

Keyboard/Mouse:

Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard

Razer Lachesis Gaming Mouse Blue

The budget is < $1500

Thanks in advance :)

I have a razer lycosa and I wouldn't buy it again if I could do it over. It is finicky and lots of people have had trouble with them. THis Keybaord is much nicer and has red lighted keys.TH ram you picked is fine but so is the Mushkin Ivy linked.

How much does that all come to?

It comes to $1355. i decided to chuck in a 60gb ssd for the OS and some programs. is this a good choice? OCZ vertex 2

* So the total (including the ssd) comes to $1514

@ Gabriel

I have played around with them in person, i quite like them. but thanks for your advice :)

Thanks for the advice guys :cheers:

Edited by _Blackened

The vertex's are always highly regarded, though are you ready to go through all the headache of an undersized SSD?

you could always upgrade your GPU to a 5870 for the a little less money: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_933&products_id=12716

or possibly get an even better cooler, assuming you plan to overclock your processor

I just built my i5, very similar to yours, personaly I would buy foxconn katana mobo and perhaps get a 460 gtx nvidia, for me I like to run the gpu that go with the CPU ie intel with nvidia and amd with ati personaly but looks good

The vertex's are always highly regarded, though are you ready to go through all the headache of an undersized SSD?

you could always upgrade your GPU to a 5870 for the a little less money: http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=12716

or possibly get an even better cooler, assuming you plan to overclock your processor

well, that's a good point raised. i'm thinking of waiting for the 6*** series to come out, apparently the 6770 has the benchmarks of a 5850? i'm guessing thats just a rumor but i thought i would wait and find out.

As for the SSD, I thought it would be good for the OS and just some other frequently used programs, I wont fill it up with random files such as itunes or skype.

I heard and read a lot of good things about that cooler, people getting 4+ overclocks on i7's ? I'm not going to do an insane overclock, but i will be doing it. Most likely 3.0 - 3.6.

I just built my i5, very similar to yours, personaly I would buy foxconn katana mobo and perhaps get a 460 gtx nvidia, for me I like to run the gpu that go with the CPU ie intel with nvidia and amd with ati personaly but looks good

I don't believe we get many Foxconn products down under :dunno: plus i haven't heard much about that brand. As for picking a 460 gtx, i did look at that but i decided i want to place my money in ATI again, i find its more bang for buck. Cheers for that though :)