1TB Raid 0 stripe size

rmb938

Hi, I just got another 1TB hdd to put into raid 0. I would of just gotten an ssd but it is cheaper for me since I am a student. I play games,watch movies and listen to music on this computer and I was wondering what a good stripe size would be to use in the raid? I read online that if you use big file like video editing and stuff to have a big stripe size but that doesn't really help with gaming since games are big but with many files.

Hi, I just got another 1TB hdd to put into raid 0. I would of just gotten an ssd but it is cheaper for me since I am a student. I play games,watch movies and listen to music on this computer and I was wondering what a good stripe size would be to use in the raid? I read online that if you use big file like video editing and stuff to have a big stripe size but that doesn't really help with gaming since games are big but with many files.

I went with the defaults. TB drives are pretty large to be putting into a Raid 0 array. Thats a lot of data to lose if one of the drives packs up and I've always thought raid 0 arrays performed better if you kept the partition to smaller sizes. THere are other more experienced users on this forum who could expand a bit more on that last point.

Well I am really not worryed about losing data. I format my pc at least 2 times a year without any backups since its mainly for gaming. I didn't order anything as of yet so if what your saying is true about the performance I'll just keep the money for something else.

I would just put 2 320 wd blacks in there and raid 0 those, or equivalent hard drives. I have 2 500gb wd drives in raid 0 and only have a 200 gb partition and it installs all my games and programs fine. If you have a lot of games installed at any given time then maybe don't make a partition at all. The reason i have the partition small like that is where the partition is created by default is the fastest part of the drive(hope that made sense).

oh ok I got you. I might do that then. Just want something fast without spending like $150+ for a low range ssd. Oh and btw wd blacks start at 500gb not 320 xD

I might just get 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136074 yes its only a 16mb cache but it will be in raid 0 so it shouldn't make a huge diff.

Edited by rmb938

oh ok I got you. I might do that then. Just want something fast without spending like $150+ for a low range ssd. Oh and btw wd blacks start at 500gb not 320 xD

I might just get 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136074 yes its only a 16mb cache but it will be in raid 0 so it shouldn't make a huge diff.

Actually they do start at 320 they are just 2.5" form factor. X P

Well was it good when you had it as your main drive? Have you tryed it in raid 0 if so how was the performance.

You won't see much a performance improvement if any with regular HDDs in RAID 0 unless you're doing video editing and need huge amounts of raw bandwidth. It's not worth spending money on if you already have a working system - that's for sure.