Need help choosing mobo

I'm currently in the process of building my first rig, and I'm stumped on as to what mobo I should buy. So far what I have in mind as far as other parts go is

CPU: Phenom II x4 965BE

MEM: G.Skill Ripjaw

Video: HD5850 1GB

PSU: undecided

So there you have it. I'm looking to spend around $100-170 on the mobo. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for what kind of mobo I should be looking for? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I would like a mobo that supports CF, because I want to add another 5850 sometime in the future.

Edited by So1o

I'm currently in the process of building my first rig, and I'm stumped on as to what mobo I should buy. So far what I have in mind as far as other parts go is

CPU: Phenom II x4 965BE

MEM: G.Skill Ripjaw

Video: HD5850 1GB

PSU: undecided

So there you have it. I'm looking to spend around $100-170 on the mobo. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for what kind of mobo I should be looking for? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I would like a mobo that supports CF, because I want to add another 5850 sometime in the future.

I can recomend the ASUS M4A89td Pro/USB. Great mobo with nearly all the features of theAsus Crosshair IV formula which is outside of your budget.

Comparable boards from MSI and Gigabyte with similar features and price range are;

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 also good mobo at the top of your price range.

MSI 890FXA-GD70

There are also plenty of other options available as well based on earlier chipsets. I didn't really take a very close look at those when I was researching my mobo.

I can recomend the ASUS M4A89td Pro/USB. Great mobo with nearly all the features of theAsus Crosshair IV formula which is outside of your budget.

Comparable boards from MSI and Gigabyte with similar features and price range are;

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 also good mobo at the top of your price range.

MSI 890FXA-GD70

There are also plenty of other options available as well based on earlier chipsets. I didn't really take a very close look at those when I was researching my mobo.

I was wondering what the difference was between the Asus board you linked me and this one. Another one I just found was this mobo. I'm assuming 890FX > 890GX based on chipsets? Also, IF I were willing to shell out an extra $50, would the Crosshair IV formula be worth it in terms of what I get out of it performance wise? This may sound dumb, but I like color coordinating everything, and the blue boards just throws everything off lol.

Edited by So1o

I was wondering what the difference was between the Asus board you linked me and this one. Another one I just found was this mobo. I'm assuming 890FX > 890GX based on chipsets? Also, IF I were willing to shell out an extra $50, would the Crosshair IV formula be worth it in terms of what I get out of it performance wise? This may sound dumb, but I like color coordinating everything, and the blue boards just throws everything off lol.

GX chipset has dual x8 PCIe slots whereas the FX xhipset has Dual X16. Also that pro series doesn't have USB3 whereas the Pro/USB3 does. Performance would be similar though. Also for a cheaper mobo the M4A89GD Pro/USB is also a good option. IMO the dual x8 doesn't make any real difference (maybe 1 or 2%).

I think if you were keeping to a particular colour scheme, I would pay the $50 extra and get the crosshair formula. Performance wise I don't think it will give you anything extra IMO.

Edited by dihartnell

GX chipset has dual x8 PCIe slots whereas the FX xhipset has Dual X16. Also that pro series doesn't have USB3 whereas the Pro/USB3 does. Performance would be similar though. Also for a cheaper mobo the M4A89GD Pro/USB is also a good option. IMO the dual x8 doesn't make any real difference (maybe 1 or 2%).

I think if you were keeping to a particular colour scheme, I would pay the $50 extra and get the crosshair formula. Performance wise I don't think it will give you anything extra IMO.

:withstupid:

I was gonna recommend, go 890GX. There's no cards out right now that running two at 8x would slow down

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for getting back so late. Just got home :( I was leaning towards getting the crossfire seeing as how $50 dollars won't really kill my budget by that much, but the thought of paying $50 for just a red board (since performance wise, I won't be getting much of a boost if any at all) just doesn't seem worth it lol. The crossfire would be more future proof in the long run though, right?

All of the boards will do Crossfire if you want them too :D

The Asus Crosshair board is just a top of the line board. It might give you an extra 160MHz over the other nice boards with beastly water cooler but if you are not water cooling I think the other boards are a better option if you aren't too picky on cooler this ASRock 890 FX might clash less than the others. ASRock has a pretty good reputation and this board is pretty cheap.

Review 1 Just basically tells you about the features.

Review 2 This one actually tests it and Overclocks it too, It does quite well.

All of the boards will do Crossfire if you want them too :D

The Asus Crosshair board is just a top of the line board. It might give you an extra 160MHz over the other nice boards with beastly water cooler but if you are not water cooling I think the other boards are a better option if you aren't too picky on cooler this ASRock 890 FX might clash less than the others. ASRock has a pretty good reputation and this board is pretty cheap.

Review 1 Just basically tells you about the features.

Review 2 This one actually tests it and Overclocks it too, It does quite well.

Oh wow, I never heard about that company, but that does seem like a viable option. Thanks for the links, I'll definately be considering this :P

Oh wow, I never heard about that company, but that does seem like a viable option. Thanks for the links, I'll definately be considering this :P

ASRock has been around for awhile, they used to not have the best reputation but lately they are really putting out nice products by the looks of things.

Always glad to help.

Is the ASRock board able to Crossfire? I was reading specs and it didn't really say much about it

edit: Nevermind, it did state that it was able to Crossfire, just didn't get into detail :P

Edited by So1o