Gentoo startx goes makes monitor shut off

Compxpert

I have this tablet PC with VIA C3 CPU and CLE266 graphics. Anyway installed gentoo on it but when I try to startx the screen just shuts off backlight and all. I know th system didn't freeze because I can switch back to other terminals with CTRL+ALT+F-Key. I have no errors in any of my logs so its is leading me to believe that X is trying to use the video out on the tablet. I'd test it but I have absolutely no idea what connection its using for display out as I've never seen it in my life. Going to post a pic so hopefully someone can recognize it.

displayout connection:

img1776c.jpg

Appears to be an 18-pin connection but it would be helpful to know what so I could get an adapter to check for output.

Have you tried toggling the software key that enables and disables the secondary monitor? Its usually function+one of the F keys.

Don't have a function key avaiable so it must be a plugin and enable connection. In XP it comes up as a second monitor that is simply disabled. I've pretty much given up on running linux on it as it would seem that no distribution wether its Ubuntu or Gentoo is able to get a proper modeline, heck I can't even boot the Ubuntu Live CD, and I have no way of find out what modeline it needs. Only way I can figure it out is if someone can identify the port the tablet is using for monitor connections.

• 2 weeks later...

that looks like a displayport (or other company specific adapter port).

try doing an "echo $DISPLAY" and checking your Xorg config to see what is under the display. Most probably you didn't configure what display to go to in the Xorg config. Without a pointer to a display you will not display anything when launching X11.

This is pretty noticeable and easily diagnosed, since when you switch system terminals you get your display back. Check the X11 configs and I guarantee that they are either non-existent or not configure properly.

• 2 weeks later...

that looks like a displayport (or other company specific adapter port).

try doing an "echo $DISPLAY" and checking your Xorg config to see what is under the display. Most probably you didn't configure what display to go to in the Xorg config. Without a pointer to a display you will not display anything when launching X11.

This is pretty noticeable and easily diagnosed, since when you switch system terminals you get your display back. Check the X11 configs and I guarantee that they are either non-existent or not configure properly.

Believe me I've tried every configuration change period... I've even tried to use vesa driver for X and it can't even find a sutible display resolution even when I specify a modeline. Also your point is rather moot; I've tested Ubuntu in both current and LTS versions neither of which are able to boot into the live cd nor are able to install a working version that doesn't do the same as what I described in my initial post. I've even gone and used different ubuntu versions back to 2008 none of which worked. Only one thing I have been able to get to work was a USB boot of DSL which loaded to gui. Despite this I cannot find any Xorg.0.log file on this USB boot version or for that matter any useful tools or logs that could help me to figure out why DSL can load a gui but ubuntu and gentoo are incapable.

Pretty much have given up on this but if anyone can offer a solution I'll be glad to try it.

• 2 weeks later...