ATi 5850 question

So1o

I'm currently trying to build a new rig, and started doing some research on video cards but I'm a little confused. First of all, I read about these reference and non-reference video cards being made. Would it matter which one I got? Also, how would I know if I'm getting a reference card or not? I looked up a few 5850 models on newegg and this is what I got. HD-585X-ZNFC, XFX HD-585X-ZNFV, XFX HD-585X-ZABC, and the XFX HD-585X-ZAFC. Is there something specific I should be looking for or avoid? Or maybe a card that I missed? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Edited by So1o

I'm currently trying to build a new rig, and started doing some research on video cards but I'm a little confused. First of all, I read about these reference and non-reference video cards being made. Would it matter which one I got? Also, how would I know if I'm getting a reference card or not? I looked up a few 5850 models on newegg and this is what I got. HD-585X-ZNFC, XFX HD-585X-ZNFV, XFX HD-585X-ZABC, and the XFX HD-585X-ZAFC. Is there something specific I should be looking for or avoid? Or maybe a card that I missed? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Reference and Non refer to the cooler housing the video card, if its an egg shaped cooler and not "boxed" then its non-ref, it its "boxed" its ref

HD-585X-ZNFC - This card is the non-reference version

XFX HD-585X-ZABC, - This card is the reference version

I prefer reference cards, but really the difference isn't much when it comes to temps! So either really will work just fine, I'm just a Ref card man myself :)

Edited by SpeedwayNative

Reference and Non refer to the cooler housing the video card, if its an egg shaped cooler and not "boxed" then its non-ref, it its "boxed" its ref

HD-585X-ZNFC - This card is the non-reference version

XFX HD-585X-ZABC, - This card is the reference version

I prefer reference cards, but really the difference isn't much when it comes to temps! So either really will work just fine, I'm just a Ref card man myself :)

Thank you for your reply. Also, what is the difference between the Black Edition and the regular 5850? It's about a $50 dollar difference and I'm wondering if it's worth the difference. Another thing I was concerned with was eventually I was planning on running CF with these cards, but seems that availability will be an issue.

edit: Will OC be an issue for either the reference or not reference cards? If so, which would do a better job at OCing?

Edited by So1o

Thank you for your reply. Also, what is the difference between the Black Edition and the regular 5850? It's about a $50 dollar difference and I'm wondering if it's worth the difference. Another thing I was concerned with was eventually I was planning on running CF with these cards, but seems that availability will be an issue.

edit: Will OC be an issue for either the reference or not reference cards? If so, which would do a better job at OCing?

I'm assuming you dont want any other company than XFX? OC will probably be the same, though every card is different

Forgive me for going off topic but what on earth is a 'double life time warranty'? How can you get a warranty longer than lifetime?

I believe the double lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty for you, and if you ever decide to sell it, the buyer will also have a lifetime warranty. Double lifetime :)

Forgive me for going off topic but what on earth is a 'double life time warranty'? How can you get a warranty longer than lifetime?

Its if you sell on the card, then the person who bought it off you will also have a lifetime warranty ;) also non reference cards might have better components such as MSI's hawk series of cards or Sapphires Toxic editions, stuff like custom pcb's and "military grade" parts etc, always nice to see what company's come out with in regards to their non reference stuff :)

The problem with non reference cards, they're pretty hard to find, at least for me. Also, I don't know which non reference card is good and which is actually worse.

Reference vs non reference is not able to be visualized just by the type of cooler on the card. When you look at a reference card it is the design that ATI sends to its partners as the the spec card. This is what they want built and sold. Manufacturers make enhancements to the power regulation circuits, use different PCBs, different components and usually a more capable cooler. A reference card can use better or worse components that the spec card depending on what the manufacturer chooses to use.

Reference vs non reference is not able to be visualized just by the type of cooler on the card. When you look at a reference card it is the design that ATI sends to its partners as the the spec card. This is what they want built and sold. Manufacturers make enhancements to the power regulation circuits, use different PCBs, different components and usually a more capable cooler. A reference card can use better or worse components that the spec card depending on what the manufacturer chooses to use.

:withstupid:

btw http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127500&cm_re=5850-_-14-127-500-_-Product

I'm ending the thread with this 5850 ;)