Partial flickering/something

Kennie

Hey,

I got my new rig put together a month ago or so, although after a while of playing Just Cause 2, odd flickering squares started popping up.

I have two different versions, one, which is more common, seems to be about particles, like dust, and as squares around lightsources.

t16mNl.jpg

It is usually solved by rebooting, but it comes back quite fast.

The other, less common one, is larger flickering squares, covering everything which is somewhat close, that is, if you're on the ground, in a forest, everything. As seen in the screenshot.

JtOK1l.jpg

It does not occur too often, and usually after playing JC2 for a long (3+ hours?) while.

My question now is whether this is caused by the AMD drivers for my card. The second case, when triggered, appears in everything, from minecraft, bf2, jc2 to the preview for changing the settings in CCC. The first scenario doesn't appear as clear in other applications, although I have spotted something which could be it in bf2, not sure though.

Temps should not be an issue, from what I've monitored, my gpu idles at 35, and occasionally hits 75 on load. CPU goes from ~38 to ~56.

I'm using a DVI-VGA adapter, if that has any relevance, since my monitor only came with a VGA cable.

The build is as follows:

AMD X6 Phenom II 1055T

Asus M4A89GTD Pro

G-Skill 1600MHz 2x2GB

Sapphire Vapor-X 5870 1GB

Corsair HX750W

I haven't overclocked the system in any way.

Edited by Kennie

I have this game on a sapphire 5770 vapor-x and i have had no such problems using the ati drivers. However make sure your drivers are all up to date (i cant remember seeing any fixes in the ati drivers update sheet). Then make sure to see what patch you have for JC2, remember this is a game intended for nvidia like many other games so immediate releases are focused on nvidia not necessarily ati support. Hope this helps and tell us how you get on.

EDIT

Just Cause 2 July 2010 PC Title Update

• Fixed issues that would cause vehicles and people would stop spawning.

• Enemies will not fire on the player while they are struggling with an enemy on a vehicle.

• Increased the presence of the Vanderbildt Leisure Liner.

• Benchmark results now displays correct memory for various graphics cards.

• Fix to allow players to bind mouse button 4 and 5.

• Fix to allow players to bind E button correctly.

• Fix to display quicktime prompts correctly when running in Eyefinity mode.

• Enable triple buffering when vsync is on.

• Lowered mouse sensitivity when freefalling.

• Localized "Completion" for Polish and Russian versions

• Localized "Mercenary Mode" for Polish version.

• Correct settings on benchmark results screen (MSAA rather than CSAA) when using AMD GPU's.

• Reduced input to update lag.

• Limit frame latency command line option, for reducing input to render lag ( /dxframelatency=n, 1-3, default 3).

• Shadow size cull tweaking command line options ( /shadowcullnear=f, /shadowcullmiddle=f, /shadowcullfar=f, or /shadowcull=f for all buffers, default: 1.0)

• Numerous stability improvements.

Some of these do suggest they might be your problem, obvious one numerous stability improvements, and the odd amd/ati support features.

Edited by bobby898

I use steam, so yes, I have the latest patch.

Furmark didn't show any errors, seems to behave just nicely.

I tried turning off graphical settings in jc2, and it seems that anti-aliasing is the culprit. With 4x or 8x, case #1 is apparent, with 2x, it's gone. Not really sure how this is possible, but it seems to be the cause. The CCC settings are all on "Application managed", by the way.

I use steam, so yes, I have the latest patch.

Furmark didn't show any errors, seems to behave just nicely.

I tried turning off graphical settings in jc2, and it seems that anti-aliasing is the culprit. With 4x or 8x, case #1 is apparent, with 2x, it's gone. Not really sure how this is possible, but it seems to be the cause. The CCC settings are all on "Application managed", by the way.

AA uses mostly graphics memory, maybe some of your memory is damaged. If the card can perform fine at 8x AA than it should be played as such, I'd see if other people have the same problems with high AA and a 5870, and if not, you're RMA'n a video card