Does anyone LIKE low resolution laptops?

El_Capitan

1920 x 1200 used to be the big thing 5 years ago on laptops, but now it's 1600 x 900, with the rare occasion of an overpriced 1920 x 1080. Otherwise, it seems as though 1366 x 768 on 15.6" laptops are a dime a dozen, but still costing upwards of $800 and more. Does anyone here actually like the lower viewing resolutions?

I remember buying my Gateway P-7811FX that was 1920 x 1200 for $1,150 4 years ago (sold for $850 two years ago, thinking there'd be better gaming laptops available). I regret selling that bad boy. Something similar these days costs around $1,600.

P.S. Just saw the latest episode of "The Event". They had a netbook running facial recognition software where it was scanning hundreds of images a second. Science fiction, indeed.

Well, look at it this way. Do you really need a resolution of 1920x1200 on a 16 inch screen? I don't know why the decided to use smaller resolutions, but I imagine that they can use a better quality screen for the price at 1600x900 than at 1920x1200.

Well, look at it this way. Do you really need a resolution of 1920x1200 on a 16 inch screen? I don't know why the decided to use smaller resolutions, but I imagine that they can use a better quality screen for the price at 1600x900 than at 1920x1200.

Yes! Ever since I've been using 1920 x 1200 resolutions, anything lower just makes me groan that the resolution is so low. Not that you always HAVE to use it, but the option to go lower than 1920 x 1200 is always there, though not vice versa.

No, the screen quality doesn't make a difference. The reason they have lower screen resolutions is because they don't need as powerful GPU's in their laptop, and having lower screen resolutions means longer usage using batteries.

Yes! Ever since I've been using 1920 x 1200 resolutions, anything lower just makes me groan that the resolution is so low. Not that you always HAVE to use it, but the option to go lower than 1920 x 1200 is always there, though not vice versa.

No, the screen quality doesn't make a difference. The reason they have lower screen resolutions is because they don't need as powerful GPU's in their laptop, and having lower screen resolutions means longer usage using batteries.

That is the main reason, to get better battery life, which I'm all for. If I want to game, I have my Desktop and my XBox but my laptop is used for work and paying bills.

Most people don't even know what their native resolution is - that's the biggest problem. They can sell 1366x768 screens like nobody's business because people don't know enough to stay away from them.

On a netbook? Sure, that's a fine resolution.

On a full-size laptop? Screw that. :(

Most people buy laptops for college -- usually parents buy them for their kids and often don't spend much time looking at resolution. Just want to make sure it's purdy and one that everyone will have -- so that their kid will fit in. :) Think about all the suggested laptops that are given from colleges -- I wouldn't buy one of them... booo who recommends a CRAPLE???

Most people buy laptops for college -- usually parents buy them for their kids and often don't spend much time looking at resolution. Just want to make sure it's purdy and one that everyone will have -- so that their kid will fit in. :) Think about all the suggested laptops that are given from colleges -- I wouldn't buy one of them... booo who recommends a CRAPLE???

Having bought laptops for my daughters university work I didn't care about resolution because they weren't bought for gaming or eye candy and I certainly didn't buy them to look pretty! If they can run MS Office then that's enough and all that matters really! :P

Having bought laptops for my daughters university work I didn't care about resolution because they weren't bought for gaming or eye candy and I certainly didn't buy them to look pretty! If they can run MS Office then that's enough and all that matters really! :P

Resolution matters for being able to put an article on one side of the screen with an Office window on the other (and still be readable). Unfortunately you can't really find any laptops with a 1920x1080 (or even 1920x1200) screen any more for a decent price.

Resolution matters for being able to put an article on one side of the screen with an Office window on the other (and still be readable). Unfortunately you can't really find any laptops with a 1920x1080 (or even 1920x1200) screen any more for a decent price.

I can't disagree with that, definately very useful. My daughters have always, as far as know, managed with a single window and they are still faster and more productive than me and I use two screens. :lol:

Precisely! That's what I love about my laptop's res, it's only 1680x1050 but it's a great little workhorse if I need it to be.

I wish I could just swap in new motherboard and have everything pop out where it does now but have the next generation internals (and still keep my screen)

I can't disagree with that, definately very useful. My daughters have always, as far as know, managed with a single window and they are still faster and more productive than me and I use two screens. :lol:

Imagine their productivity with dual low res monitors :evilgrin:

Battery life is part of it. However, a big reason is the same as why 24" monitors went from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080. They are cheaper to produce. Add that to the fact that they can get away with charging the same price, and you have your answer.