Overclocking Intel i7-980x

new2this

Hi,

I am new to this site and new to overclocking. Have never done it. Here is what I am using:

Intel i7 Extreme Processor i7-980x

Intel Extreme Motherboard DX58SO

Kingston HyperX Memory 4 x 4GB to total 16GB running at 1600MHz using XMP profile in BIOS (made by Kingston...?)

In the BIOS settings, I go to the 'Performance' page and it warns me about damaging my machine if I overclock improperly.

Given the cost of this system, I really don't want to mess with it without doing some homework. So...I come to you experts. Maybe someone has this setup or knows what to change?

I have done extensive reading on this but I have to admit I am lost. Any help appreciated.

Currently set at 135MHz on processor in BIOS (out of the box). What can I change this to? Do I have to change voltages anywhere in BIOS to make the overclock complete?

Thanks in advance for any insights...

You won't find many enthusiasts using Intel motherboards for overclocking so information on your particular board maybe hard to find. Thinking about it why would Intel want to encourage more performance from their processors, it's not in their interest although the DX58SO motherboard does overclock quite well apparently but I can understand them including the warning.

The Intel i7-980x uses three memory channels so can I ask why you have 4 x 4GB and not 3 x 4GB or am I missing something?

Ouch. Wish I knew that before buying.

I agree with your concept on why Intel may not be interested in supporting overclocking but at the same time they do have the feature in BIOS...

Would you have any setting recommendations as far as what voltage to run and at how many MHz clock speed...? Currently set at 135MHz

Your motherboard is certainly overclockable but it may not boast all the features from the likes of Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, etc.

Your memory configuration is still puzzling me though? The more informed members may be able to solve this one?

There are plenty of guides like this, this and this which took a few seconds to find.

You must watch your voltages and your temperatures. If you are still using the stock heat sink on your processor don't attempt any overclocking until you have a good quality aftermarket cooler installed.

Overclocking isn't really my forte but there are many members who will help.

Sadly I need to get some experience with both 1366 and 1156 overclocking so I'm of no use so hopefully someone who knows what they're doing can help. (though check out some guides, reading is the best teacher)

Bump up your speed, test with Intel burn test for quick stability tests before you go higher. Try moving up your speeds multiplier by one each time. If you run into instability add a .05 volts until stable.

Say your multiplier is set at a default or 25 go up to 26 or 27. 135MHz with a 26 would bring you up to 3.65GHz which would certainly boot on stock voltage but may not be stable.

While doing this monitor core temperatures. Depending on your cooling you will probably run out of headroom when it come to heat first. 85c is a safe max under load.

1.4v is what I would consider safe for a 32nm CPU like that one. For the other i7's that are 45nm 1.45 is the "safe" max. Not owning a 980x I wouldn't know personally.

For overclocking if I were you I would remove the forth stick of ram and move your ram to the 1,3,5 slots or 1,2,3. I am not sure how that motherboard is configured. Normally using slots of the same color with each stick is a good way to guess.

You will need a nice cpu cooler for this thing.

Edited by gabrieltessin

I didn't know you could overclock on an Intel board

You can overclock on the DX58SO. You just have to figure out which things to turn off and on and what has to be adjusted. Its been a while since I have played with that board but my 920 will hit 3.8 on it so I would expect your 980 to get in that ball park.