sandman1485

New i7 Build for Intense Non-Gaming

Hey guys,

Looking for recommendations from scratch, per the "guidelines" below. I used to have a lot of fun putting together dream rigs for other people, so I'm hoping you might want to as well :-D. I know there are a number of other threads with similar topics, but everyone's build is unique, so I think it's appropriate to start a new post.

It's been about four years since I last posted on this forum. I used to be a hugely enthusiastic overclocker, and had a sweet water-cooling rig, yada yada yada. Back then, AMD was overclocking king, and ATI's 9800xt was the way to go. I do believe times have changed. I've been a laptop user for a long time now, but I'm about to settle down in a nice place, and figure it's time to have a good, quick workstation. I run a website, so often have Photoshop and 20 other programs open. Additionally, that website makes a good chunk of money. I need to write off some of that money on expenses, so why not build a new rig?

Here are loose guidelines: $1,200-$1,500 budget

-- Intel i7 processor

-- One SSD drive

-- Will need to support two monitors (not included in budget)

-- Once in a blue moon gaming might be nice

-- Quiet! I don't know what silent fans are out there now, but a few years back SilenX was the way to go

-- A good, quick 1TB storage?

-- A nice chunk of ram

-- A sweet looking motherboard

-- A sleek case

Look forward to hearing from you!

For starters go pick this up, it's probably really close by to you: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0346210 (6 in stock at your local microcenter)

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128456 This one looks pretty awesome for $189.99, it's a Gigabyte with USB 3.0 and has both SLI and Crossfire support

SSD: I'm not sure how big you want and also not really that up on these

Storage HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433&cm_re=1tb-_-22-148-433-_-Product $69.99 best price and still a 7200rpm

Fans: I think SilenX is still the quietest but my fan knowledge is also a tad rusty

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227573&cm_re=ddr3-_-20-227-573-_-Product 1600mhx 3x2GB CL6 $135.99 after mail in rebate

Case: This one's always hard because it's something only you (the one who has to look at it everyday) can choose

again those are just quick newegg searches but you can get an idea for pricing and shop elsewhere, I doubt that i7 will be found cheaper though

i would not get Seagate,They have given me bad drives even after given for warranty they are faulty,not only me, two of my friends also,get something like WD or Samsung.

i would not get Seagate,They have given me bad drives even after given for warranty they are faulty,not only me, two of my friends also,get something like WD or Samsung.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136490 same price but 5400-7200rpm depending on use, happy :P (WD Green)

also for the same price a samsung 5400rpm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152173

Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys! Is there any need to go with two video cards? I expect one is enough for today's games, esp. if I'm probably not going to be playing much of them anyway?

You don't have to go for two graphics cards but two GTX 460 1GB cards in SLI is hard to beat price/performance wise at the moment. What you have to ask yourself is if you do fancy playing one of the current crop of games now and again what sort of graphics quality do you want? What is your monitor resolution?

Don't forget to include a quality power supply but until you decide on the components it's hard to recommend one at the moment.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys! Is there any need to go with two video cards? I expect one is enough for today's games, esp. if I'm probably not going to be playing much of them anyway?

What resolution are wouldja be playing at?? (aka how big are your two screens)

Most likely my answer will be either one or two 460 1GB's

Also, are the other components not listed going to be reused from an old build?

No other old components. I think I've changed my mind from dual screens to one 27" monitor.

Debating going for i7 1366 or 1156? Not sure how big a difference I'll notice (except for saving a few $100s)? I don't really plan on overclocking, and I'm likely only going to use one GPU? I think being able to handle multiple open applications (photo editors incl.) is the primary functionality here.

Go for a WD Caviar Black. I LOVE my Saphire 5770 Vapor - X and Antec 900 case. I use one Gelid fan and the whole setup is whisper quiet even when gaming or benchmarking. See my sig for the full setup. My budget was the same as yours.

No other old components. I think I've changed my mind from dual screens to one 27" monitor.

Debating going for i7 1366 or 1156? Not sure how big a difference I'll notice (except for saving a few $100s)? I don't really plan on overclocking, and I'm likely only going to use one GPU? I think being able to handle multiple open applications (photo editors incl.) is the primary functionality here.

Its up to you, I think the 800 and 900 i7 perform similarly. Check up on that though, im sure there's reviews that'll closely compare them both

Okay, here's what I've got lined up:

-- CPU: Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I7860 ($279.00)

-- Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard ($129.99)

-- Ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ ($84.99)

-- SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ($134.99)

-- HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive ($79.99)

Final question: video card. I think I only need one...

-- GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-768I GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Is this a good card to have by itself? I don't think I'll be gaming too much...maybe just SC2?

Also, power supply recommendations? I'll check out the case section of the forum for that stuff...

Edited by sandman1485

For silent fans the best are probably Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans, they have good static pressure and are very quiet. If you want something cheaper you can get the Scythe Slipstream, I recommend the 1200rpm they move a good bit of air and are still very quiet. SilenX fans now have a bad name I'm not sure exactly why but they are no longer recommended by most people.

This is a great review/ comparison of a lot of silent/quiet fans.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page1.html

Edited by Bandrew