Dirt 2 crashing during game - NOT at startup

TRWeiss1

Ok ladies and gents, I have a very odd problem here indeed. This problem occurs while playing Dirt 2 on my "faster system" (listed in sig). It seems to be random as far as how long you can be playing before this will happen, but it is just a matter of time before it does. It also seems to happen regardless of what catalyst drivers I'm running, and yes I have tried the latest and greatest from ATi. Now, onto the problem...

After playing several races (seems to be anywhere between say 5 and 15), my framerates will plummet during a race from a solid, locked 60FPS down to around 29-32. Obviously the game is still playable while you're racing, but is extremely choppy. Once you finish the race it will show you crossing the finish line, and the framerates jump back up to 60FPS. If you begin watching the replay, the framerate will start out at 60FPS, but then as soon as you begin moving (in the replay) they'll drop back to 29-32. It does not matter whether you watch the entire replay or skip it entirely to go onto the next event. The end result is the same. As soon as you quit after this inexplicable framerate drop, the game will lock up. I've waited as long as 10 minutes for it to recover, but it doesn't. It is not the system crashing, as I can get to Windows task manager without any problem, and ultimately end the task (Dirt 2). FWIW, I can run OCCT for 3 hours without any concerns or lockups, so I know it's not my overclock causing this. Lastly, I am running the 1.1 patch (IIRC) for Dirt 2. Is there another patch I'm missing? What on earth could be causing this?

The only other lockup I get with the game is sometimes between races, while at one of the "loading" screens. The game does the same thing - locks to the point of having to end the task through task manager. Has anyone experienced this kind of behavior? I've searched on the problem, and found lots of people having trouble with the game locking at startup. This has not happened to me...not even once. I've also read about people saying it crashes after the first race, but I haven't encountered this either. My problem seems to be unique, in that the framerate drop is a precursor to the game crashing at the end of that race. WTF is going on here?? I LOVE the game to death, but this is getting annoying as hell to deal with! System specs can be found in my sig...

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Lets see if i can help out any here, i see your running on the 52" .. nice :evilgrin: what res?

Could you take a quick screenshot of your CCC 3D settings, on the "all" tab? Each game works differently with settings and i find myself cursing AMD for not having proper Profiles like ATi Tray tools or RadeonPro. Though i've gotten used to finding the quirks.

also i know these are obvious and "nooby" questions but have you tried playing the game with the CPU Overclocked to a lesser extent, or just running stock? and you have installed the AC twinturbo on the 5870, what are its temps idle and load (roughly) and have you overclocked it any?

With a 52" hdtv,i'll assume hes running at 1080p.But really,with that system,you really dont need to overclock anything.I was playing dirt 2 @1080p with a mixture of medium/high settings on my 4870 512mb and with a lowly e5200 and i got 60fps 95% of the time.I would honestly set everything back to stock clocks,you wont notice any difference and it may cure your crashing problem.

Thanks for the replies guys! :) I'll post up some screenshots in a bit. Sorry, it's been a busy weekend so far fixing other peoples' computers. :( I can back my OC down, but my logic was that no game will EVER tax my system (and my OC) like OCCT does. :P So I figured the OC was fine, being that I could run OCCT for several hours without a crash. I'll back it down and see what happens. Also, I'll post a screenshot of my CCC 3D settings later. As far as temps go, what can I use to log temps while I'm gaming?? I can't find any utilities. :( I generally see 34 degrees C at idle, and can catch a glimpse when I'm backing out of the game and it's sometimes around 60 degrees C. Anyway, gotta run off to dinner for now, but will post back later. Thanks again guys!!! :D

Edited by TRWeiss1

RealTemp is great, but from what you said about your GPU Temp's id say they are perfectly fine ;) Just curios to see your CCC setup is all, when you get the chance post a shot up and ill let you know if i spot anything that's slowing you down on that side :thumbsup:

Sorry that I haven't gotten a chance to report back yet guys. :( I really do appreciate the help...I've just been very busy as of late, and really haven't had time to do any gaming. :( I'll do my best to get some screenshots tonight and report back. I'm also going to download real temp so I can just double check my temps. I know my CPU is completely fine with the Noctua, and I'm 99% sure my GPU is ok as well. However, I've never been able to monitor it/log temps, so I don't really know how hot it gets during gaming. CPU never gets over 70 deg C through 2 hours of OCCT , which is with each core maxed out @ 100% load. I've tried the GPU test through OCCT, but for whatever reason it doesn't work with my 5870...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, God it's been a busy month. :( Anyway, I actually decided to upgrade to the 5970HD(x2), so I'm now running that card. After some extensive research, I found out that XFX does not use the best voltage regulators on their cards. I was a little gunshy of getting another 5870HD by a different manufacturer such as ASUS, so I went with a Sapphire 5970HD. I also have 3 friends that have XFX 5870HDs, all having the same problems I was having. I also have a friend running an ASUS ROG 5870HD with no problems whatsoever.

Also, I began having a stuttering issue in F1 2010, which was similar to Dirt2 so I did some searching. I figured what the hell, they're both Steam games and they both use Windows Live. :P What I found was that the replay file used is HUGE. See source => http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17077739&postcount=7

What I'm thinking is that I may be able to modify Dirt2 in the same way to alleviate any stuttering or crashing. I'll report back if I have anymore unusual issues with this new card. So far I'm enjoying it though. :D 110FPS gain in NFS: Shift, and F1 2010 stays glued @ 60FPS with VSYNC enabled...

Hey guys, God it's been a busy month. :( Anyway, I actually decided to upgrade to the 5970HD(x2),

When you say 5970HD(x2) , do you mean you have a pair of 5970's in crossfire or are you actually meaning just a single 5970 ?

Sorry, I just have one 5970HD. I say x2 since it's a dual GPU card. In any case, the game is still crashing. :( It crashes religiously at the end of 3 races, and more specifically a 3 race event in LA. There is absolutely no stuttering or hiccuping during gameplay, but just when I hit "continue" at the end of the seris I get the "DiRT2 has encountered and error and must close" BS. It doesn't matter if I just close the program or check for a solution online. Come to think of it, I want to say that I never had this kind of problem with the game before I installed the patches...Anyone else experiencing this kind of nonsense? Makes it really irritating, and literally impossible to complete the game since the progress of the event doesn't save before the game crashes...