installing windows 7 on an old machine

N.E.A

hey , every one , i have a computer that is 4 or more years old , and i want to install windows 7 on it.

here is the specs : MB Gigabyte 945GCM-S2L and 2 Gigs of ram and a P4.

i searched for drivers for windows 7

and this is what i got

http://ee.giga-byte.com/products/mb/driver/ga-945gcm-s2l.html?os=win7_32

the Chipset driver is missing .. !!! now what ? do i need a bios update ...?

You shouldn't need a bios update.

Have actually tried to install Windows 7 because it may have the necessary drivers?

:withstupid:

It's generic drivers should suit you just fine. Sure they aren't specific to your hardware but the hardware is so old that honestly you wont even be able to tell :P

I've installed win7 on old p4 machines with 512mb ram and have had excellent results.

Makes them old beasts hum along quite well.

With 2gigs of ram that should be sweet

Edited by feetfats

ok , so now all what i have to do is install it and then install the drivers ,right?

but i am not sure that it will go with out problems, there is no chipset drivers for it ..

what i did understand from you guys is this : install it and install the lan drivers without the chipset drivers ..

but how can it work with out the chipset drivers ..?

Edited by N.E.A

ok , so now all what i have to do is install it and then install the drivers ,right?

but i am not sure that it will go with out problems, there is no chipset drivers for it ..

what i did understand from you guys is this : install it and install the lan drivers without the chipset drivers ..

In all likelihood Win 7 will install all the necessary drivers (including chipset) you need. It has a pretty decent driver package for support of older gear as a previous poster has said. Give it a go.

nah, we're saying you dont need any additional drivers. The generic ones will handle your stuff just fine

nah, we're saying you dont need any additional drivers. The generic ones will handle your stuff just fine

what do you mean by generic ..?

do you mean the vista drivers ..?! or just install the os and do nothing ..?

i am kinda noob :D

Edited by N.E.A

In all likelihood Win 7 will install all the necessary drivers (including chipset) you need. It has a pretty decent driver package for support of older gear as a previous poster has said. Give it a go.

sorry , did not see that .. i will give a try

IMO i dont think you should go anywhere near windows 7/vista unless you have a dual core. I installed windows 7 on a single core machine with 2gb of ram just after windows 7's release and it run like a dog, it was a terrible experience, i almost immediately went back to windows xp (which is still my favoured os). Windows 7 only runs well if you have a dual core and 2gb of ram (i would recommend 4gb). It will definitely run faster with xp anyway so why change to an os that is worse, heavyweight, and only recommended for relatively powerful systems. IMO the only reason you should need windows 7 is if you need the dx10/11, a 64bit os that works unlike xp 64bit, and support for later hardware. I will use startup times as my example, xp loading screen shows for 4 seconds, yes 4 seconds until it boots into the os (this is optimized os btw), unlike windows 7 which takes more like 16 seconds, may not sound like much but that is 4 times longer than xp (windows 7 is optimized too). Even after your booted into the os, everyday tasks and gaming benchmarks have been taken by numerous sites and xp performs better in every way except for being a microsecond longer at opening up internet explorer. Does it seem worth downgrading to a more recent os? Hope this helps and trust me you will have a better experience with xp, dont fall for all of the fancy visuals.

p.s the only reason i use windows 7 is because im a gamer, i need dx10/11, 64bit, and later hardware support as mentioned.