Help would be most appreciative..

Sixth_Vang

Hello all,

I've just finished my PC build and this is actually my first time having more than 1 hdd, moreover a ssd. Basically I installed windows 7 ultimate onto my 60gb SSD. I would like to save the SSD for only the o.s. , drivers, and certain programs. I want to know if its possible to somehow make the Program files default on the secondary hdd. Game installations onto to the other hdd is becoming awfully messy as i/'m just throwing them into a folder i named program files lol.

Please help

Sixth

Edited by Sixth_Vang

Go to Start (or the Windows Logo) on the bottom left corner of the Desktop:

Where it will say "Run" or "Search" type in Regedit.

You might get prompted to allow Regedit to open, just hit yes.

On the left hand side you should see: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE click on that triangle thing next to it to make it expand to show you the subfolders.

Next Click on SOFTWARE and make it expand to show its subfolders

Then do the same for Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion

So you should be looking at something like this: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]

This time actually Click on the Subfolder "CurrentVersion" then on the right you will see a bunch of junk but you should also see a Line that says: "ProgramFilesDir"

If you look under the Data Column you will see its Default is "C:\Program Files"

You can right click on "ProgramFilesDir" and go to Modify

This will bring up a box and on the bottom you will see "Value Data" you will also see "C:\Program Files" in that box.

Here you should be able to change that to "D:\Program Files" (Minus the quotes) and that should now default install your programs in to D:\Program Files (Or you can name it whatever folder you want)

Also if you are running a 64bit Windows you may want to change the "ProgramFilesDir (x86)"

Over to the "D:\" drive as well as most of your applications will Default install in to the x86 Folder on your 64bit system.

Since most programs are still only 32bit you tend to see most of your files you install default in to that x86 folder.

I am pretty certain this should work, you can also before you start Open your Registry and go to "File"

Then Export your Registry to somewhere on you "C:\" this will create a backup of what the Registry looks like before you edited it.

Then if you have problems or anything you can always Import the old registry back.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Go to Start (or the Windows Logo) on the bottom left corner of the Desktop:

Where it will say "Run" or "Search" type in Regedit.

You might get prompted to allow Regedit to open, just hit yes.

On the left hand side you should see: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE click on that triangle thing next to it to make it expand to show you the subfolders.

Next Click on SOFTWARE and make it expand to show its subfolders

Then do the same for Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion

So you should be looking at something like this: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]

This time actually Click on the Subfolder "CurrentVersion" then on the right you will see a bunch of junk but you should also see a Line that says: "ProgramFilesDir"

If you look under the Data Column you will see its Default is "C:\Program Files"

You can right click on "ProgramFilesDir" and go to Modify

This will bring up a box and on the bottom you will see "Value Data" you will also see "C:\Program Files" in that box.

Here you should be able to change that to "D:\Program Files" (Minus the quotes) and that should now default install your programs in to D:\Program Files (Or you can name it whatever folder you want)

Also if you are running a 64bit Windows you may want to change the "ProgramFilesDir (x86)"

Over to the "D:\" drive as well as most of your applications will Default install in to the x86 Folder on your 64bit system.

Since most programs are still only 32bit you tend to see most of your files you install default in to that x86 folder.

I am pretty certain this should work, you can also before you start Open your Registry and go to "File"

Then Export your Registry to somewhere on you "C:\" this will create a backup of what the Registry looks like before you edited it.

Then if you have problems or anything you can always Import the old registry back.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Thanks for the swift reply. I'm in the correct location however "ProgramFilesDir" isn't present? Any idea where it could be hidden?

Hrmm.. I just checked the 3 PC's in my house (Win7,Vista64,XP) and they were all located in the same spot.

Make sure when you get to the current version folder drop down section, you just click on Current Version so it is Highlighted.

Then on the right hand side in the huge space you should see it.

I will post a screen shot for ya:

whatwhatwhat.jpg