Second keyboard with Japanese Characters or get one with both?

visagepoissons

This is going to sound stupid I know. Most Westerners learning/wanting to type in Japanese are probably self proclaimed 'otaku' who just think it's cool as to pretend to learn Japanese. I am not one of these people and have my own legitimate reasons for wanting such a keyboard which I will not get into here because it's really quite irrelevant.

Now I decided after my last thread to wait until Razer released their 'Black Widow' and see how that faired as a mechanical keyboard, but I now have the need (meh, not NEED, desire I suppose) to be able to type in Japanese. Now, I know that I can use my normal keyboard to convert 'romaji' to katakana or Hiragana (and I suppose probably Kanj too? I'm not sure about that) but that leads me to become lazy and forget my katakana very quickly. So, I'm wondering, should I get a second keyboard with hiragana/katakana characters on it, find a different keyboard with both, or maybe find some sort of sticker solution that I could stick over the top of the keys to keep the illumination for english characters while still being able to see the japanese ones when I have my light on. I really like the idea of illuminated keys for gaming at night, but they're not necessary for the Japanese characters as I will only be using them for email and perhaps msn.

Just a vague question I guess, it's not particularly vital, but it would be really helpful.

Check eBay and Amazon. Some companies laser etch Japanese into some of the keyboards (backlit ones included, no clue how they look at night), some come bilingual. I didn't see anything that offered both hiragana and katakana, however using a combination of a keyboard that already has it plus stickers could work.

I got some DVORAK stickers on my backlit keyboard and they don't show up well without the monitor's lighting. So if your turn down the brightness of your monitor at night and don't use any other lighting, then you might not be able to see the stickers.

Finally why you gotta hate on otakus :D

Edited by Krazyxazn