HoLoDreaM

Looking at the 1050T or 965/970BE on an ASUS 890GX mobo

After weighing my options and budget, I'm sticking with the 1050T, and I'm pretty confident I'll be doing the 890GX chipset and modding it to work with SLI. Worst case scenario, I'll use a single 9800GT, because not all games I play support SLI anyway

what game doesn't in this day and age??

SLI and CF scaling is widely supported now

There's money to be had with an Nvidia chipset for AMD that supports SLI and SATA III. I'm pretty sure there's problems with having both. Having had 4 different AM3 boards with different chipsets, the Nvidia chipset was my favorite due to SLI capability, and it overclocked better. The only weird thing was it only had 5 SATA II ports. Makes me think it has to do with SLI support.

I recently just put together a gaming comp for a friend that had the X58 chipset in it. It's sad that you cannot find an AM3 socket board with a chipset on it that will support both CF and SLI just like the X58 does for Intel CPU's. Maybe I'm wrong though, but so far I haven't found one.

I recently just put together a gaming comp for a friend that had the X58 chipset in it. It's sad that you cannot find an AM3 socket board with a chipset on it that will support both CF and SLI just like the X58 does for Intel CPU's. Maybe I'm wrong though, but so far I haven't found one.

you can enable it unofficially

Ok well the AM3 1050T will be here tomorrow. Will be ordering 4GB G-Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz 7-8-7-24. I'll order the mobo last so in case I find any good deals or one with 100% all the options I need. But I'm pretty set on the ASUS 890GX and enabling SLI support myself..

Ok well the AM3 1050T will be here tomorrow. Will be ordering 4GB G-Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz 7-8-7-24. I'll order the mobo last so in case I find any good deals or one with 100% all the options I need. But I'm pretty set on the ASUS 890GX and enabling SLI support myself..

awesome, let us know when she's up and purrin'

Will do. Got the CPU, waiting to order the rest. I've decided on a new case. The Cooler Master HAF 912

Am I missing something here? Why is the OP talking about a 1050T? I thought there was only the 1090T and 1055T, with the 1075T and 1045T coming soon.

I would defenetly go for the 6 core and oc it up to 4ghz. I had the phenomII x4 965 BE(140w) almost one year but had to RTM it. I now have the 1090T and i have it o.c to 4 ghz, and i have to say its a massive improvement. My 3dmark and vantage scores have jumped 5-6k after i got the 6 core cpu. The 6 core is also easy to o.c and have low temps. So the old x4 was a real botleneck for my system. .

Intel cpu's are the best though. So if you are getting a complete new system i would get the 930-950 i7 and o.c it good. Or you could wait for the new intel cpu's releases that is coming soon.

I would defenetly go for the 6 core and oc it up to 4ghz. I had the phenomII x4 965 BE(140w) almost one year but had to RTM it. I now have the 1090T and i have it o.c to 4 ghz, and i have to say its a massive improvement. My 3dmark and vantage scores have jumped 5-6k after i got the 6 core cpu. The 6 core is also easy to o.c and have low temps. So the old x4 was a real botleneck for my system. .

Intel cpu's are the best though. So if you are getting a complete new system i would get the 930-950 i7 and o.c it good. Or you could wait for the new intel cpu's releases that is coming soon.

a 965 @ 4.0ghz shouldn't really bottleneck anything, anything needed beyond that is enthusiast territory.

I agree with what you've said but explain what exactly was bottlenecked

Well, to update this post. I got my case and motherboard in today. I bumped up to the Cooler Master HAF 922 case, and I got my ASUS M4A89GTD PRO and 1055T installed. I'm only waiting to order the memory and I'll bring all my other components over from my current rig. I thought I was set on some RAM, but I've since seen so many choices since this post.

I now realize I want 8GB instead of 4GB like previously planned. I want some good 1600+ RAM that overclocks well. I'm looking at all the different G-Skill types, and the new Corsair Vengeance, but still open to ideas of other RAM (maybe even some of those that have assisted the 1055T to 4ghz or close :P).. Any suggestions?

I'll also be throwing in a SATA 6gb/s or SSD hard drive in soon... I'll be keeping my SLI 2x9800GT 512ms for a little bit, and then ditch it for a newer GTX 260 or higher video card. (I'm keeping all the old parts to have 2 gaming computers in my room for LAN :P)

Edited by HoLoDreaM